2.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Is it okay to have more than 4 ads in each ad group

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it okay to have more than 4 ads in each ad group? Would it be better for the campaign performance to have 10 ads or 20 ads per ad group?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matthew C
September 2015

Re: Is it okay to have more than 4 ads in each ad group

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Yes. It is OK.

In fact, it's wise to ALWAYS have at least TWO ads running in each ad group at any given time. You should always be testing the performance of ads in an ad group against each other and removing the poorer performing ones.

However, when you have large numbers of ads, the impressions and click data is spread out between them and it becomes more difficult to collect enough impression and clicks to make a sound judgement call on what's the better performer.

2-4 ads is usually best unless you have a very high volume ad group. There's nothing stopping you adding more but i will become more difficult to get the data needed to make a sound decision on what asd to axe.

Make sense?

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matthew C
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Yes. It is OK.

In fact, it's wise to ALWAYS have at least TWO ads running in each ad group at any given time. You should always be testing the performance of ads in an ad group against each other and removing the poorer performing ones.

However, when you have large numbers of ads, the impressions and click data is spread out between them and it becomes more difficult to collect enough impression and clicks to make a sound judgement call on what's the better performer.

2-4 ads is usually best unless you have a very high volume ad group. There's nothing stopping you adding more but i will become more difficult to get the data needed to make a sound decision on what asd to axe.

Make sense?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Perfect thanks!

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

I would disagree with @Dave_Davis  on this.

I agree I generally have 2-4 active ads in every Ad Group.

On the other hand, unless an Ad Group has keywords with wildly high impression & click volume, I would not have more than four ads actve in it at once. Even then, I would think twice about having a lot of ads--and I'd probably decide not to.

The point of having multiple ads is not to have multiple ads--it's to test the ad messaging to find the message that resonates best with searchers. Having too many ads active at once dilutes the traffic among too many of them and makes your results suspect, in my opinion.

If you do have Ad Groups that have a ton of traffic, I'd recommend using fewer ads but evaluating those ads and maybe rotating out the lower performance once on a more frequent basis. That is, I believe, more likely to give you reliable data and results than having two dozen active ads running simultaneously.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Just to clarify @Theresa_Zook that I wasn't condoning having more than 2-4, just that it was possible and the only reason you would is if you had high volume.

You're dead right though.

Where you'd have more than 4, in my experience, is when you're almost MV testing variations of ads while changing a single character. In general, no more than 2-4.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Sorry for any confusion Matthew!