AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Is it impossible to exclude computers/tablets entirely?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here's my issue in a nutshell: I want my ads to show exclusively on mobile devices. 

Problem: They still show on computers (and don't even get me started about tablets!)

I know what you're thinking, you just have to use mobile adjust bidding and/or set your ads to Mobile Preferred. Argggh. If it were only that simple. And, I'll bet the answer is simple, but it eludes me. Please help. Here is what I (think) I know:

Situation: Let's say suggested page 1 bid is $1.00. All of my ads are set Mobile Prefered (operative word here is Preferred, not Exclusive)

If I set my bid at $1.00, of course ads show on mobile and unfortunately on computers (segment by device reveals this)

I then set my bid to $0.25 as this is so low it will probably generate very few if any impressions on any device. However, I do set my Mobile Bid Adjustment to 300%, the net effect of which is to essentially make my mobile bid $1.00 ($0.25 * 300% = $0.75. $0.75 + original bid $0.25 = $1.00)

Simple, right? However (and here's probably where I'm missing something), by setting my bid to $0.25 I still see Below First Page Bid/First Page Bid estimate: $1.00 and my ads don't run on computers (****ing tablets) or mobile devices. 

Suggestions? Work-arounds? Thanks in advance for any help with this.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is it impossible to exclude computers/tablets entirely?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Bill, how are things?

Short answer to your problem: Unfortunately there's no way to fully remove Desktop/Tablet from Search Campaigns.

Every other possibility right now are just work around and none of them guarantees that desktop/tablets ads will be 100% removed.

It was possible in the past, but when Google changed the campaign system to the Advanced Campaign (which we all use today) they remove the possibility to create Search campaigns just for mobile devices.

You should be able to achieve more control on this by using Display Campaigns, where you can select the devices you want to show your ads to. If you can use Display Network as part of your strategy, take a look into it Smiley Happy

Hope this helps.
_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ah, the good ol' days. Back then, I duplicated all of my campaigns and set one up for computers and one for mobile devices. More work? Yes. More control? YES.

Right now, this is exclusively for the Search Network. I forgot to mention that. What burns my cookies is the service advertised is all about doing stuff on a mobile phone and hence, the ad text, keywords and landing pages all focus on the mobile platform. It is a waste of money and it looks stupid to have a Use Your Phone to do these Phone things with this Phone-optimized platform advertisement on a desktop/laptop computer.

There is no exclude stupid filter for ad clicks, so unfortunately, computer users still click on the "phone ad" see the website (it looks fine on a full screen and all, it's the content that mobile focused) and leave. Hey there dollar, buh-bye. :-(

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Adwords will face a complete redesign and from what I heard, there'll be some new features and a lot of "mobile thinking" stuff. Google will make a live presentation on May 24th from an event calle Google Performance Summit, which you can learn more and subscribe to the live here: https://plus.google.com/+GoogleAds/posts/EzW41BiEVQz

Who knows, we might see some new stuff for mobile Smiley Happy (I hope)
_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click