AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Is it good to use location term in keywords.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All

Is it good to use location term in keywords...does it effect quality score?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is it good to use location term in keywords.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Offcourse it is good to use it. With adding location name you may reach your targeted audience with high quality score. But try to get relevance with keywords. If you choose lots of keywords with different location name it might be cause low QS.
Like "Buy iPhone Los angeles" and "buy iPhone New york" Both are good keywords but you have to compete with the advertisers who are targeting on new york or LA. For mentioned both keywords you can;t get relevancy but with landing pages and expected CTR you can get better QS.

People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location.

This will help you to show your ads to those people searching from outside your target location.

Find more details in the links below.

https://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722043

https://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722038

Please note: So if you are creating city specific campaigns with a lot of generic terms, then make sure your using the default targeting option (under Settings - Location Option Advanced - Target)

my 2 cents!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for Reply Mr Kandarp Thaker

But due to adding location term in my keywords their quality score is going down.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Mayank T,

The decision whether to use Location terms in your Keywords should be made based upon your objectives, not just your Quality Score, sometimes not even your Quality Score.  Quality Score is a good indicator of Keyword Quality but it doesn't guarantee that the Keywords with the best score will be those that offer the best performance in terms of conversions and return on investment.  So you should approach your Keywords more from the point of view of optimising their performance in terms of your goals, then attempt to optimise them in terms of Quality Score, which should reduce costs.  Often, the process of optimising for goals will itself result in a good Quality Score since such optimisation tends to include optimising Ad Group focus, Ad and landing page relevancy and CTR, all of which help QS.

So, in your case, you should be asking why you want to include location terms.  Is your business hard to target using the Location targeting options?  Do your customers frequently use such terms in their searches?  If you're seeing your QS go down using location terms, it could be that search users do not often use these terms, or that your Ads or landing page don't appear relevant to such terms.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
The rule of thumb I use is that unless you are targeting in a small location / town - this is a redundancy and access of keywords
The other issue is to what level Geo targeting is available in the country you are targeting.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’