AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Is it good idea to capture misspelling in keywords?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I noticed in Google if I search for something with proper spelling, I might get a ton of ads.  However, do the exact same search with one char misspelling and no ads. 

So I was wondering does it make sense to include common misspelling into the keywords list so that your ad can show up for misspelling and hopefully be displayed for cheaper CPC? 

Appreciate any tips! Smiley Happy

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Philip L
September 2015

Re: Is it good idea to capture misspelling in keywords?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Philip, 

A couple of things to bear in mind:

#1 - Quality Score for a new Keyword can change quite dramatically as time goes by and the system gathers more data so it's quite possible you'll see this QS change over time.

#2 - It's not necessarily illogical for the misspelled Keyword to have a higher Quality Score.  Depending upon the actual terms you're bidding on and the products you sell, it may be that the factors that contribute to QS are more favourable when there is a misspelling.  I can't think of any specific examples of how this might be, but it's not hard to imagine that a user who misspells your term may have a different purpose or intent, or use different overall search queries than those where it is spelled correctly.

Once you have enough data it'll be interesting to compare the Search Detail reports for the correct and misspelled term(s).  You may be able to spot a trend.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Philip,

By default in your campaigns, the misspellings and other close variants are already included. There was an update which happened last year and there were lot of discussions, arguments that happened when this decision was taken. You can read the official blog here: http://adwords.blogspot.in/2014/08/close-variant-matching-for-all-exact.html

Also note that in AdWords, lot of experimentation is required and you need to find that niche which actually works for your business. So on the contrary, you might think of adding some of the misspelled keywords if you want and see how they perform.

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Philip, interesting question.

As @pankaj1782 has already said, you don't normally need to include misspellings as Google will match these anyway as close variants.  I can't explain why you're not seeing Ads in your test, it may be that the advertisers have deliberately excluded the misspellings as a negative, I certainly see misspelled words appearing in my Search Detail reports as close variants.

However, whether you should include misspellings is another question.  It might be an interesting experiment since in theory if you have two Keywords in the same Ad Group with the same match type, AdWords should award the match to the misspelled one as it exactly matches the search term.  If this happens, you may be able to see differences in key metrics (CTR, CR, QS, etc.) that would allow you to decide whether you should exclude this (and other) misspellings as negatives.

Jon

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks to you both.  So I do understand google kinda figures out its misspelling but adwords behavior doesnt seem to treat it the same.

So right now if I have somehting spelled exactly right, the ppc comeptitoin for it is high and cost seems more expensive.  but if i have the exact same keywords slightly misspelled a few interesting differences, 1. my quality score is way higher for the misspelling! its 9/10 vs 7/10 for perfect spelling.  2.  it seems to be cheaper for misspelling.. but i cant say #2 is for sure since i dont have the same max cpc setting for both the keywords... but based on data, the avg pos is almost exactly the same but avg cpc is lower on misspelling...

you would think if all misspelling is the same as accurate spelling, you wouldnt have the differences in quality score and costs right?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Philip L
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Philip, 

A couple of things to bear in mind:

#1 - Quality Score for a new Keyword can change quite dramatically as time goes by and the system gathers more data so it's quite possible you'll see this QS change over time.

#2 - It's not necessarily illogical for the misspelled Keyword to have a higher Quality Score.  Depending upon the actual terms you're bidding on and the products you sell, it may be that the factors that contribute to QS are more favourable when there is a misspelling.  I can't think of any specific examples of how this might be, but it's not hard to imagine that a user who misspells your term may have a different purpose or intent, or use different overall search queries than those where it is spelled correctly.

Once you have enough data it'll be interesting to compare the Search Detail reports for the correct and misspelled term(s).  You may be able to spot a trend.

Jon