AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Is it good have all the states in Location Targeting?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Friends,

My campaign targeted location is United States and can i list all the states in Location Target Settings instead of choosing "United States" country?

--

Regards,

S.Rajesh

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joomla J
September 2015

Re: Is it good have all the states in Location Targeting?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Rajesh,

It depends upon your product or service you're offering. Maybe people who know the US market better will add something, but in general, I suppose, it's a good idea to split different states (or at least groups of them) into different campaigns. It's a huge country, so people tend to search a little bit differently in different regions, and there's a big probability that the CPC's may differ as well. 

There's a help article about how to work with a little bit advanced location settings here.

However I don't think listing all the states in one campaign would be much different from typing in the United States. 

For the first try, creating a few state-targeted campaigns and excluding those states from the original country-targeted campaign would work just fine, at least in my opinion.

Good luck!

Milda Prušinskaitė

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Joomla J I would always recommend splitting up the US into smaller areas; it's a vast country and attitudes and buying patterns can change dramatically from one region to another.  If you target the entire US as a single location, you'll always be compromising your performance optimisation.

What I tend to do is split a US Campaign into four separate Campaigns based upon Time Zones (there are actually 6 Time Zones in the US, but I put Alaska & Hawaii both into the Pacific zone as they're rarely big contributors to an Account).  I then have separate State targets for each Campaign (you'll be able to find a list of States by Time Zone online).

The advantage to this approach is not only that you can then apply bid adjustments by State, but also that your ad scheduling can be applied sensibly (since all the data for each Campaign is within one Time Zone).

In my experience, there can be very surprising differences in CPC and performance from State to State.  I've seen CPCs double in one State what they are in another, and Keywords with great performance in one that do nothing in another.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Rajesh,

It depends upon your product or service you're offering. Maybe people who know the US market better will add something, but in general, I suppose, it's a good idea to split different states (or at least groups of them) into different campaigns. It's a huge country, so people tend to search a little bit differently in different regions, and there's a big probability that the CPC's may differ as well. 

There's a help article about how to work with a little bit advanced location settings here.

However I don't think listing all the states in one campaign would be much different from typing in the United States. 

For the first try, creating a few state-targeted campaigns and excluding those states from the original country-targeted campaign would work just fine, at least in my opinion.

Good luck!

Milda Prušinskaitė

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Joomla J I would always recommend splitting up the US into smaller areas; it's a vast country and attitudes and buying patterns can change dramatically from one region to another.  If you target the entire US as a single location, you'll always be compromising your performance optimisation.

What I tend to do is split a US Campaign into four separate Campaigns based upon Time Zones (there are actually 6 Time Zones in the US, but I put Alaska & Hawaii both into the Pacific zone as they're rarely big contributors to an Account).  I then have separate State targets for each Campaign (you'll be able to find a list of States by Time Zone online).

The advantage to this approach is not only that you can then apply bid adjustments by State, but also that your ad scheduling can be applied sensibly (since all the data for each Campaign is within one Time Zone).

In my experience, there can be very surprising differences in CPC and performance from State to State.  I've seen CPCs double in one State what they are in another, and Keywords with great performance in one that do nothing in another.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits