AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Is it damaging to use the same keywords across multiple campaigns?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a question about using the same keywords across multiple campaigns.

Q: Is using identical keywords across multiple campaigns worthwhile, or is it damaging to our account performance? AND, does the same apply for similar keywords, for example:

Campaign 1 uses: +sound +meter

Campaign 2 uses: +sound +level +meter

Background 

We manufacture sound level meters and sell these direct to market.

Our online presence comprises of two websites, one very much information based which focuses on users filling in contact forms to arrange a call back, and a second e-commerce site which sells the same products. This e-commerce site naturally has categories and product pages with similar titles.

Because of this structure it leaves us multiple pages with similar keywords and content, though we have made a conscious effort to prevent duplicate content for SEO purposes.

This means that when planning keywords to target within our AdWords account we find it difficult to decide which campaign should bid for the most relevant keyword "Sound Meter" - and whether that "Sound Meter" keyword should only be used once.

The term Sound Meter can be ambiguous as it can mean anything from £50 (these sell quite easily online) to £4000 (these often require contact with salesperson).

One possible solution I have is that our campaigns to the e-commerce site should only bid for search terms including "buy", "purchase", "online" etc, which would leave all other search terms related to "Sound Meters" to the information based website to generate sales leads.

I hope that's clear but if anyone needs any more information in order to help then please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Will v,

I cannot see any disadvantages associated with identical or similar keywords listed across multiple campaigns. The system will of course pick the best one at any given moment to participate in the auction. 

The practice may lead to a confused household and create a mess in your account, however, you seem knowledgeable about them. Obviously as long as you don't have a better idea it's not an issue.

Best,

Lakatos

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

I don't see the advantage of having two websites. 'Sound meters' as a search query could indicate users looking for more information, or looking to buy. Why not put everything under one domain and gain the advantages of consolidation?

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand your recommendation. We debated consolidating the sites under one domain a few months back, but there were worries we'd lose more than we'd gain. We struggled to find any stats or case studies to support the argument either way. Slightly off thread but if you know of any material that may guide us that'd be very helpful.

If we were starting from today we would more than likely put everything under one domain.

Thanks again,

Will

Re: Is it damaging to use the same keywords across multiple campaigns?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Lakatos,

Thanks for your reply, it's much appreciated.

As you say, we have found that impressions of duplicate keywords are shared between the campaigns.

Thanks again,

Will

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Personal experience, and years of profitable gains are my "guide". Smiley Happy 

Flip this around  - What do you have to lose from consolidation? What is your concern? What do you have to "lose"?

Who cares about the argument? What are your specific concerns?

Tom

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

Even with five sub-domains, it would still make sense to have them under a top level domain, for branding if no other reason. If a user is specifically searching for sound meter calibration, you can still land them on that sub-domain. However, you would still have that top level catch all domain for both SEM and SEO purposes.

Did one of these domains used to be the only domain/site? Which one has the most value? If that's the shop domain, then that's the default for the non-qualified generic, brand, competitor, etc., terms. If a user is specifically searching for sound meter rental/training/calibration/consultancy then create adgroups/campaigns for those terms, and land the ads on those sites.

You can't always determine user intent from the search term, especially when it comes to the top level terms. For SEO or SEM. If you want to have sub-domains instead of just category pages, it still makes sense to have a top level brand domain. The same idea as putting everything under one site, just a different approach.

Tom

Re: Is it damaging to use the same keywords across multiple campaigns?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @tomhalejr,

Thanks again for your reply and thank you for the further explanation.

Each domain has a similar structure e.g. www.BRANDgroup.co.uk, www.BRANDshop.co.uk, www.BRANDrent.co.uk, www.BRANDcalibration.co.uk etc, and the sites themselves mostly follow the same layout so from a UX point of view a user wouldn't necessarily realise they're on a separate domain.

The structure we considered was to consolidate the sites beneath the Group, e.g. www.BRANDgroup.co.uk/training, www.BRANDgroup.co.uk/rental etc. The sites use different CMS platforms but we were advised at the time that this wouldn't be an issue.

Regarding your second paragraph that's exactly how we run our account at the moment, and we place a big focus on adding external links to connect the relevant pages across the domains together. E.g. A Sound Meter product page links to the rental page of the same product, to the relevant training course, to the sound meter calibration page etc.

As far as I understand it, I think one of the biggest issues is the smaller sites within the group, e.g. calibration and rental, struggle to acquire organic traffic, and this is because they're separate from the good quality content we create for the Group site. Our current fix to this situation is to create more original content for each individual site, but as you're aware this is time consuming and feels somewhat like we're creating extra work for ourselves.

If you have any further thoughts on this that would be fantastic.

Thanks again,

Will