AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Is it damaging to a campaign to have keywords with no clicks?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Just wondering. Is it damaging to my campaign as a whole to have a number of keywords that have zero clicks? I have some keywords that haven't had a click for a while due to low search volume (e.g. 30 impressions in the past month but no clicks). Would I be best advised to delete these keywords for fear of harming the rest of my campaign or is it safe to keep them going? If deleting these keywords is advised, how do you judge how long to leave them before deleting?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Harry L
September 2015

Re: Is it damaging to a campaign to have keywords with no clicks?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Harry, welcome to the Community, great question.

It's not easy to answer the question of "no/low click Keywords" without looking at the Account as a whole because the performance of your other Keywords will influence the answer.  For example, lets say you have 20 Keywords in an Ad Group and the Group as a whole gets 1,000 clicks per month.  If 980 of those clicks come from just 5 of the Keywords and all of the conversions, then I'd say that's a pretty clear case for deleting the other 15 just in case they're influencing your Campaign.  On the other hand, if you had the same Group of 20 Keywords but as a Group they only get 50 clicks a month, and there are 15 Keywords that all get between 1 and 3 Keywords each and only 5 that haven't had any in a month, I'd say the incentive to pause/delete is less strong.

I'd usually only worry about "no/low" click Keywords if my Account is less than perfect.  OK, not many of us can claim a perfect Account but if you look at all the Keywords in your Account and you're seeing a big long list of Quality Scores of 10/10, you're probably not suffering too much overall and then I might be more lenient with these Keywords again.  Once more, on the other hand, if you've got a good proportion of Keywords that are less than 10, maybe less than 7, then you'll need all the help you can get...

Even if you're being lenient there will come a time when any Keyword should be paused or deleted if it's had zero clicks but again, how long that period is will depend upon the business and the Account itself, there's no one answer.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Harry L
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Harry, welcome to the Community, great question.

It's not easy to answer the question of "no/low click Keywords" without looking at the Account as a whole because the performance of your other Keywords will influence the answer.  For example, lets say you have 20 Keywords in an Ad Group and the Group as a whole gets 1,000 clicks per month.  If 980 of those clicks come from just 5 of the Keywords and all of the conversions, then I'd say that's a pretty clear case for deleting the other 15 just in case they're influencing your Campaign.  On the other hand, if you had the same Group of 20 Keywords but as a Group they only get 50 clicks a month, and there are 15 Keywords that all get between 1 and 3 Keywords each and only 5 that haven't had any in a month, I'd say the incentive to pause/delete is less strong.

I'd usually only worry about "no/low" click Keywords if my Account is less than perfect.  OK, not many of us can claim a perfect Account but if you look at all the Keywords in your Account and you're seeing a big long list of Quality Scores of 10/10, you're probably not suffering too much overall and then I might be more lenient with these Keywords again.  Once more, on the other hand, if you've got a good proportion of Keywords that are less than 10, maybe less than 7, then you'll need all the help you can get...

Even if you're being lenient there will come a time when any Keyword should be paused or deleted if it's had zero clicks but again, how long that period is will depend upon the business and the Account itself, there's no one answer.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to some more things for the evaluation process :

1) If your avg. pos. for those keywords is less than a 7 or 8 out of the 11 results from a search page and you want visitors to clicks on those keywords, just bid higher to get an avg. pos. between at least 4 and 6 , because an impression is counted even if the user does not scroll down to see ads below the fold.

By raising the position on the screen for the Ads triggered by those keywords , at least you make sure that your ads are on the screen for those impressions, and the users get a chance to click them. 

2) Some keywords trigger only a lot of assist impressions, you should activate the columns for those "assist" informations too, before deciding what keywords to pause.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
In this kind of situation what I tend to do is separate the better performers into their own ad group. This way I can increase the bids on these "star" performers without opening up the floodgates for all the other KW in the group.

You may also see patterns among these that suggest further segmentation is possible - and if it is, you might want to look at specific landing pages for these segments.

I like the core... I spend a higher proportion of my time caring for the KW that are giving me traffic and conversions than those that don't. I'd rather fish in the lake that I know has fish in it....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply everyone. All good answers!