AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Is it better to target thousands of zips or target counties/states

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have several companies with different offers and I am geotargeting for them in the US. 

After running the campaigns for 1 day the traffic is very low. The product is a cabinet refacing companies so the demand is not super high like say new cabinets would be.

The campaigns are geo-targeted by zip lists, 2 of the campaigns are in the 8,000 zip range, which I had to cut up into 1,000 zip batches and load in 8 times.

Should I have just picked like whole counties so as not to confuse the Adwords systems with a zip list of 8,000 to comb over be display my ads?

I don't have any Search Impression Share Metrics as the campaigns have only been on for 1 1/2 days

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is it better to target thousands of zips or target counties/states

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi @Matt_G,

Is there a (client) business purpose to only targeting 8000 zip codes? I would imagine in cases where there's much overlap in a given radius, you're better off just targeting the radius. You may also just need to increase some of your bids for a short period of time (until you collect sufficient data for optimized bidding). Maybe test a few more general keywords in an ad group that covers some of the more obvious necessary negative keywords and see if it's an issue of volume from the terms you selected.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I would stay with the zip codes. My view, is that zip codes are easier to manage than a radiuses (that can overlap).
NO impressions is a different issue : meaning your ad-rank is too low to win a "slot" during an auction.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah, that's a good point @mosheTLV. I was just thinking that it may be heavy lifting to create 16 new campaigns for a new product or service line down the road. My thoughts were in that radii crossover could be mitigated through using a few exclude locations rather than 1000 includes. Either way, I agree the with no impressions is an issue of ad-rank.