AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Is it best to separate mobile and desktop campaigns?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Currently have campaigns that seem to be servings mobile 50% and desktop 50%. as wasnt sure how to adjust ad text, so each ad copy i wrote I duplicated it and checked the box (optimize for mobile) is this an outrageous practice???

2 Expert replyverified_user

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello @Limo S,

I have shared below few tips to increase your mobile traffic. 

#1: Use Mobile Bid Adjustments to Control What You Pay for on Mobile

Mobile CPCs have increased 150% since 2012 and are expected to continue to increase. If that cost is getting a little too rich for your blood, there’s no reason you should have to be stuck paying for it. Advertisers can control their mobile bids by setting a mobile bid adjustment for their keywords at the campaign or ad group level in AdWords. To set this up, visit the “Settings” tab from your target campaign or ad group and then the subtab for “Devices.” From here, you can set your mobile bids as a percent of what you’re willing to pay for them on desktop.

#2: Speak to Your Mobile Audience with Mobile-Preferred Ads

Advertisers can create a mobile-preferred ad, which only shows to users searching from their mobile phones. In your ad group, after creating an ad to show to desktop users, create an alternative ad to show to mobile users and be sure to check the “Mobile” button next to device preference:

mobile ad strategies

#3: Use All Available Ad Extensions

We know that ad extensions increase an ad’s CTR, and Google recently announced that they also contribute to quality score. If you’re not currently using them, you’re certainly paying the price with lower CTRs and quality scores on both desktop and mobile. Even if you’re skeptical about using one, like Location Extensions, it’s all the more likely to be valuable on mobile, where real estate on the smaller SERP is worth fighting for.

Regards,

Syed Sayem Mustafa

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Limo,

First of all I would like to ask do you have separate URL for mobile device like m.example,com?

Expanded Text Ads have no device preference. Users will see the same message, whether they’re on desktop, mobile, or tablet. 

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello

If your site is a mobile / device compatible (e.g a responsive site) - no need to set a separate campaign. This is the concept behind enhanced campaigns

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

It comes down to how efficient you want the account management to be. With two campaigns, you are doubling the workload, but you can be more precise in what you do.

Where I work, we find that if campaigns are properly creating silos for products/services which perform similarly, then a campaign-wide bid adjustment for mobiles will have the mobile ads in the optimal position.

If mobile bids need to be adjusted individually, then I would go for separate campaigns.

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Like Santosh said - There is no "mobile preference" for expanded text ads, so that particular practice isn't going to apply much longer.

What is the goal of the advertising? Do you have a conversion strategy in place? Which device(s) are the most profitable?

Tom

M B
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
M B
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I agree. Next to that if you're also amaing on specific average positions, then seperate campagins will help you better to achieve it. As the average postion shown in the editor is a mixture of mobile, desktop and tablet. So the exact average position for that keyword on eg. desktop is not shown and thus your bid management is hard to do.