AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Is it bad to bid on a general (one word) keyword?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it bad to bid on a general (one word) keyword?

Let's say i'm running a car repair business. Is it wise just to bid on the word "car"?

Much thanks,

John

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Is it bad to bid on a general (one word) keyword?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I am gona say yes. Bad idea. If you are using broad or phrase match then that can expand to so many 'car' related search queries, i.e. car tires, car windshield wipers, car washes, cars for sale, etc, etc, etc. If you have been running that keyword then look at your search terms report - Go to KEYWORDS tab and then the keyword details button to run a search terms report on that selected keyword to get an idea of what I am talking about. http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2472708

I would stick with more specific keywords like car repair - car repair in chicago, etc.

Consider restrictive match types to help refine your traffic further. http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2497836

Consider negative keywords to prevent your ads from appearing on irrelevant queries.
http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2453972

Questions welcome!

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the feedback Kim!

I've started studying recently for a Google Adwords certification and i've been applying what i have been learning. I have considered adding negative keywords very soon as i've been getting clicks that are irrelevant to my service. 

I've had my ads running like this for too long. I believe by bidding on general one word keywords has affected my general CTR% for my compaigns. It's awfully low for my campaigns in the english market and relatevely ok for french.

I have another question, I've had my campaigns running on both Search and Display Neywork. Does low CTR% on the Display Network effects the performance of the overall campaign? I have much better CTR on Search than on Display. But i have bad quality score on my english keywords. (most of them are at 3). 

I started removing ad placements, but i'm currently thinking of removing the Display Network completly as, to my knowledge, i haven't received any leads from that network.

thanks!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Johny,

Search will usually have higher CTR than Display.

Display CTR will not effect your Search network QS.

Low CTR on the search network can cause quality score issues for sure. Make some changes to improve the relevance of your keywords, create adgroups around themes so that you can have just the right ad copy appear for a given search query i.e. have an adgroup for auto body repair with keywords and ad copy all about body work. If you have a body work page on the website land the visitors there - build relevance and the CTR will pickup.

My gut says get off the display network for now. If you do try it again down the road create new campaigns that are display only to give you more control and better visibility into what works and what does not....again tho, I dont think the DN is a good fit for your type of business unless you have the budget to play around.

questions welcome.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

i agree.

hardly any point in doing the display network.

and apart from negative keywords, do take the time to set up exact match, phrase match and modified broad match keywords in your campaigns(already referred to by Kim): http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836/?hl=en

then go through the matched search queries to see what search queries are converting and add them as an exact match.

we usually run the exact match campaign separately, the modified broad match separately etc

thats a fairly efficient way to  do it.