AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Is it any benefit to have keyword in landing page url?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A guy who was assisting me created a landing page for one of my Adwords campaigns. He gave it an extremely convoluted and lengthy URL which included multiple key words. To me, this does not make sense as I doubt that Adwords deems it relevant to QS, Ad Rank or anything else that key words are embedded in the landing page URL.

What is the answer to this?

Thanks,

Christopher

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is it any benefit to have keyword in landing page url?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Christopher L,

To answer your question of whether or not having "extremely convoluted and lengthy URL which included multiple key words" is helpful, I would answer this as - no, it is not. 

The URL should be 'relevant' and as short as possible with words separated by dashes - and not underscores _. 

Personally, I try not to go more than 2-3 words deep... but I know many that go a max of 5-7 words deep... and I have seen some go longer. But keep in mind they are not getting convoluted and not crafting the URL in a non-natural way (stuffing it with keywords) as they are putting the topic of the page in the URL with their WordPress pages (which is where I see the longest URLs). WordPress users also seem to make more convoluted URLs compared to raw html coded websites.

Also keep in mind that the display length on desktops is 35 characters and 20 on mobile... and anything longer will be cut with... (three dots), with expanded text ads providing two optional fields of 15 characters each. So I try to keep this in mind too and control where the ...cut happens, when possible.

With all of that covered... 

This is what AdWords discusses about the destination requirements

Now let's apply the logic....

If I sold red baseball hats as my AdWords product, but also offered two other color options (white & blue), it would make logical sense to have a website page URLs as: /baseball-hats.htm and I could go with /red-white-blue-baseball-hats.htm. I would personally use the shorter and more generic URL as it conveys to the consumer what to expect and keeps things tidy. Regardless, AdWords is not going to prefer one over the other since the performance of my ad campaign is going to be set in the live auction by a number of other factors (bid, targeting, QS, ad rank, etc.) where the address wording is not at all considered. Note: If this was a generic webpage used as a landing page (not a dedicated ad landing page), the address wording would matter slightly more since the URL is seen in the SERPs (search engine results pages) and can convey to a consumer what to expect.   

Using the same example, It would be more important to make sure I talked about baseball hats in an unique and authoritative way. Talk about the different types, sizes, colors, styles, the many uses, materials, how they are constructed, etc... all while providing a strong and dynamic "call to action" above the fold that made it thoughtless to find and use.  

Let's keep thinking on this example and look at the Google SERPs for the search phrase: red baseball hats. We do see the keywords in the URLs of the organic listings and with the ads, too. But they stay on point and make sense.

In the end... the landing page's content is always king, along with having H1, H2, H3 (headers) in place that direct the subject matter naturally and fluidly. Using keywords in the subject matter -without- stuffing or making nonsense just for the sake of them being used. And using this content to create ads and keywords that makes perfect sense. 

Kind Regards,

James