AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Is adding exact match hurting my CTR? I need some tips...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

An account I manage was originally set up primarily using broad match terms.  In an effort to improve lead quality and decrease ad spend, I've paused several broad match terms and have added modified, phrase and exact match for the same terms: 

Before - keyword phrase

After - +keyword +phrase; "keyword phrase", [keyword phrase]

Since doing this across a few ad groups I've noticed that my CTR has dropped in half. 

Any thoughts?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is adding exact match hurting my CTR? I need some tips...

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Are you also seeing a change in your ROI or conversions rates?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi tetra22,

Have you run a search terms report for the period when you had broad match for the keyword? Did you add as either phrase or exact match the search terms that generated both clicks and conversions?

If you only have that one keyword phrase as BMM, phrase and exact, your missing the other searches that would/might have led to a click.

Your CTR has dropped in half, but how are your conversions doing? Are you getting a similar number of conversions, resulting in a higher conversion rate, from the clicks you do get? If so, you're doing pretty well. Start adding more keywords.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the feedback.

I've checked the keyword report and found that several terms that converted to leads were actually terms that are not relevant so I didn't add those as keywords, instead I added them as negatives.

My conv. rate has increased slightly week over week. So this is good but I was expecting CTR to increase and Conv. rate to also increase as the result since logically, I'm sending more qualified, relevant traffic to my site. 

I've also been adding a lot of neg kw terms I see in my kw report that aren't related. My assumption is that this should improve traffic quality, CTRs and conversions.  Is this a fair assumption?

Thanks again.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Tetra22,

How is your ad positions when you compare your earlier broad match terms and newly added keywords?

When you add new keywords they usually starts at a lower ad position (bids a major factor) because a lack of historical performance/QS. The drop in ad position can be a reason for low CTR.

Just a thought.

Info