AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Is a keyword a duplicate if it appears in different campaigns with different geographies?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For example, I'm using mobile+car+detailing in Raleigh, Charlotte, and Atlanta.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Grayson L
November 2016

Is a keyword a duplicate if it appears in different campaigns with different geographies?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

No, it would not be considered a duplicate. It is very common to have the same keyword in multiple campaigns with different targeting settings, such as geography.

-Jim

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Grayson L
November 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

No, it would not be considered a duplicate. It is very common to have the same keyword in multiple campaigns with different targeting settings, such as geography.

-Jim

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Jim! 

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Yes and no. As long as you are using broad match, anything is possible. Because broad match is so broad, and geographic targeting is not perfect, ad rank is still the most important factor. If Google decides a different adgroup in a different campaign has a higher adrank, that's the ad they are going to show. Likely - Not every single time. However, your campaign settings do play a role. If you want to be that specific and granular at the campaign level, then make sure you exclude each area from the other campaigns, and perhaps even add the other locations as a negative broad/phrase match terms at the campaign level. Also make sure you restrict your targeting only to "people in my targeted location", and that you have no targeting overlap within your campaigns.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you! I appreciate the details.