AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Is It Possible To Turn Off Close Variants?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Several months ago I changed the Exact and Phrase Match campaign settings to "Do Not Include Close Variants" for all of my clients. I did this because I found that Adwords would override my adgroup structure and match a keyword to the highest bid instead of where the adgroup structure had designed it to go.

For example, there are two adgroups: Rehab Center and Rehabilitation Center. Rehab Center is bid higher because it is a better quality keyword according to my ROI calculations. Adwords would match all of the "rehabilitation center" keywords to the Rehab Center adgroup in order to generate the higher priced click. This defeated the purpose of splitting the adgroups and bidding them independently. If I can't bid lower for the lower quality keyword, then what's the point?

So, I was happy to find the option to turn off close variants and I used it. The problem is the change in setting hasn't turned off close variants. The exact same problem remains unchanged, and if I look at the keyword details I see "Phrase Match (close variant)" next to all the keywords with "rehabilitation" inside the Rehab Center adgroup. This is despite supposedly having turned off close variants. How can I really turn off close variants????

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is It Possible To Turn Off Close Variants?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

I assume you've double-checked your Campaign Settings tab to make certain that you saved the change you made?

Other than that fairly common mistake, I've not heard of this before. Let me ask around and see if anyone has any ideas.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, of course. The setting has been double and triple checked. Wish it was that easy.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi BetterPPC, I'm afraid I can't answer your question about close variants (although I have looked around) but can I just pick up on something you're saying?

Google does not match Keywords to "get" a higher priced click.  They will match Keywords with a higher Ad Rank, and since CPC is part of that equation, it does usually mean that the higher CPC Keyword wins with all other things being equal, but it is in an effort to match the highest Ad Rank, not some clumsy and very obvious way to make more money.  In fact, as you'll see from the following help file, if there is a cheaper Keyword whose Quality Score generates a higher Ad Rank, Google will use that instead.

How Similar Keywords Match to Search Terms

I'll admit I'm a little confused.  If you have a Keyword that you know gives you a better ROI than another, why would you want to deliberately prevent that Keyword matching a search term?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

Another option, BetterPPC, would be to add the word "rehabilitation" as a negative keyword to your Rehab Ad Group, and vice versa. That will prevent searches using the abbreviation from triggering on the fully spelled Ad Group ads and prevent searches that are fully spelled out from triggering the abbreviation Ad Groups.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I likely unhelpful and un-advanced suggestion would be to contact support in case this is a bug. A fairly significant bug. 

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

BetterPPC, google will not do what you say it does.

yes, close variant is an option in setting where you can turn it on or off. however, leave it on.. it is only small misspelling and mis use of a word vs. picking a totally different term for you.

adjust in this section:
Keyword matching options

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Some posters miss the point of the original question I think, which is a valid one.

And I encourage someone from Google, please,  to actually provide a non-pat answer here - for there does seem to perhaps be a bug.

I work with a Pond Supply Company. Given Google's bend toward core keyword groups and relevant ads, I went through the trouble of separating  my customer's "Pond Netting" product line into "Pond Covers", "Pond Hand Nets", and "Pond Mesh Netting". These three groups of products are very different things. Yet, the words may sound common.  I don't want a customer searching for 14x14 pond netting to be served a pond hand net ad. They are NOT the same thing.

At the AdGroup level, I specified broad match single negative keywords for the other 2 types; so for example, cover and covers are negatives in the Hand nets ad group.  I also have the campaign settings configured to EXCLUDE close variants.

Today, while doing routine maintenance, I found both (close variant) matches as well as keyword phrases that ended in "cover" in my hand nets category. To me, this should not be. It just should not be.

It is perfectly understood that back in 2012 Google announced that they were changing the nature of exact and phrase matching to include plurals, misspellings, alternate endings, and close variations because Google is trying to do a better job of deciphering searcher INTENT and not just the keyword they happen to use. I get that.

However, negative keywords exist so that you should be able to control how your ads are triggered in response to a keyword query and if you wish to exclude the "ed", or "er" or "ing" version of a word, you should be able to do that.

The example I see in an account I have been working closely with for 5 years is telling me that negative keywords are broken and I am unable to group a set of core keywords and write specific ads around them because the words are overlapping depsite my intent to not have them do that.

I have a keyword:  "pond netting" in my Pond netting ad group. I have "cover" and "covers" set as ad group negative broad keywords....and TODAY, I see that my client paid $2.25 for "pond netting cover".

It's BROKEN.

There does seem to be a bug. And I feel it needs to be addressed.

Alisa

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
if you are in business for that long, you must only be biding on [exact] match type keyword right? all your search term kw, that are relevant should be added to the account as exact match terms. then to make sure, add the negative term at the adgroup level, campaign level & shared library level.

You have a "cover" issue. you don't like cover for 2 of your 3 grouping.

any non-cover keyphrase should be in their own campaign. What the issue is , is that you place all in the same campaign in different adgroup. Take all three grouping and divide into their own campaign. now you can added negative at the adgroup level. than to make sure also add it to the campaign live. and then to be freaky about it add it to the shared library negative master list (and apply to the right campaign) Three level of negative and you will never see the cover pop up in an unwanted place again. if it never does, then we got it!! close variant is at the campaign level not the adgroup level! however if you still see it pop up even after 3 level of negative term protection, let me know.

i'll drive down to Mt. View from San Francisco and camp out to ask an engineer where they went wrong. but this method should work. My friend also program the campaign setting UI for Adwords. he'll be able to help me camp out and find the right person to ask