AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Irrelevant keywords get better quality scores.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been having an issue with quality scores.  For example paused relevant keywords will drop down about 3 points in quality score when I re-enable them.  Also all of our keywords score about a 2/10 to 4/10 in quality score.

So today I tried adding in a new key phrase that isn't relevant at all "we sell fresh pigs".  That gets a quality score of 6/10.

So we offer online traffic school for traffic tickets.  You would think that a phrase like Traffic School might get a good quality score considering it is what the site offers but it gets 4/10.  But "we sell fresh pigs" gets 6/10.

It appears that most of Google adwords support are in India and keep emailing me faq's.  Our account has spent 250k over the past few years but now just is dead.  The site is relevant, the keywords are relevant, etc.  I went through some months ago and deleted every keyword that wasn't getting clicks or scored so poorly it was useless (even though they were relevant).  The problem is if I do that again, since the rest of the keywords have dropped in relevancy (regardless of them being exactly matching to the service) I would have to delete every keyword pretty much.

Just venting.  I know no one here can do anything.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Irrelevant keywords get better quality scores.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi TrafficSchool and welcome to the forum, we'll certainly try to help.

Quality Score isn't just about relevancy, other important factors include the CTR (click-through-rate) of the ads (both current and historical) and the performance of other advertisers for that keyword.  So, when you entered the fresh pigs keyword you'd have had no historical CTR and your current CTR is probably **bleep** near zero so the QS may have been primarily based on other advertiser performance.

What sort of CTRs are you seeing for your keywords?  Can you provide us with a short list of the words you're using and their match types?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Quality score is a funky thing. Very funky. In fact, although I've spent quite a bit of time learning the ins and outs of quality score, I learnt quite a bit from the adwords summit meetings with Google engineers.

Can you give a bit more of a story? Have you had it de-activated for a while and then re-activated?

There are many possible reasons why you are seeing a lower quality score. Some you can change, some you can't. Also, is the lower quality score affecting your CPC's? When you hover over the keyword, what does the diagnostic tell you about it? Is your expected CTR in range?
It could be there was a time period where you had really bad quality scores, and your account history is bringing it down now. Those types of things can typically be resolved with 2-3 weeks of better ad copy.

Also, if you have good and bad performing ads in your ad groups, Google will average the 2 together to give you a quality score.

Also, Google will ding a whole industry if the CTR's for those keywords are bad / have gone down.
In short, the quality score you see in your account is not the actual quality score.

If the performance for those terms work for you, don't sweat the low quality scores.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

One of the offerings we have is the CA DMV Mature Driver course for those over 50

mature driver course CTR 5.48% QS 4/10

mature driver improvement CTR 17% QS 4/10

mature driver program CTR 3% 3.01%

We also offer regular traffic school for traffic tickets

spanish traffic school CTR 20% QS 3/10

driving traffic school CTR 2.63% QS 4/10

traffic school CTR 1.07% (not bid up high enough) QS 4/10

quick and easy traffic school CTR 22.54% QS 2/10

dmv traffic schools CTR 6.33% QS 3/10

ca dmv online traffic school CTR 3.28% QS 3/10

san diego traffic school CTR 5.17% QS 3/10

Getting clicks isn't a problem, it is the impossibly low quality scores driving up the cost of clicks. The product is only around $25 so right now bidding around $2.00 to $3.50 is the max I am comfortable with.  But Google keeps driving up the cost of clicks by driving down the quality score.  All of these keywords should have at least a 6/10 quality score especially Traffic School which exactly matches what we offer.

Cobnut wrote:

Hi TrafficSchool and welcome to the forum, we'll certainly try to help.

Quality Score isn't just about relevancy, other important factors include the CTR (click-through-rate) of the ads (both current and historical) and the performance of other advertisers for that keyword.  So, when you entered the fresh pigs keyword you'd have had no historical CTR and your current CTR is probably **bleep** near zero so the QS may have been primarily based on other advertiser performance.

What sort of CTRs are you seeing for your keywords?  Can you provide us with a short list of the words you're using and their match types?

Jon