Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Irrelevant Clicks even with Exact Match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I would really appreciate it if you can help me with the following as I am baffled:

I run a campaign for warehouse software. In this campaign I have various keyword phrases including the words "warehouse" and "warehousing" but they are never in singular form, such as only "warehouse" as the product sold is warehouse software (so it would be either "warehouse system" warehouse managment software" etc)

However, i ran my keywords on phrase match and used modifiers and have now gone over to exact match and no matter what I do Google keeps displaying my ads for search terms such as "warehouses in Jhb" or "warehousing" or "list of warehouses" - Now I know I can list "list of" as a negative keyword but it wont work as someone might type "list of warehouse systems" and then we wont display. I need my ads to display ONLY when my exact keyword phrases are typed in and Google is not allowing me to even though I have exact match. 

Even when I used modifiers (I changed each keyword phrase to have the words software and systems as modifiers thereby thinking Google would only display when the modifier is present, but it still displayed my ads for phrases such as "warehousing" etc.

Even though I have the keywords "warehouses" and "warehousing" as part of my keyword phrases those are not exact matches to my keywords - why does it keep displaying and what can I do?

I cant list the keyword "warehouse" or" warehousing" as negative as it is my main keyword but it needs to display along with other words, such as software or systems to make it relevant?

Please assist as I think I am missing something here.

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Irrelevant Clicks even with Exact Match

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi, I think as long as you are using exact match it should not be a problem. When you look at the search terms report, please add a column for 'keyword' (if not already present) and then you will be able to see what search term phrase triggered what keyword. Do you see anything there? Can you share an example here, for me to better understand what is going on?

You can always check out the Google documentation for keyword match types as well.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Yolandi,

The scenario is not very clear. Are all your keywords in Exact match??

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tarun. Thank you for your reply. It says the keyword triggering it is"warehousing". However, I don't have "warehousing" as a single keyword. I have "cold storage warehousing" and "3PL warehousing" and both these are set to exact match so why is Google displaying it even though the words "3PL" and "cold storage" are not present in the search query?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Archit

Yes all keywords are set to exact match. So from my understanding all words in a phrase should be present in a search query in order for your ad to display. But Google displays my ads even if only one word is in the search query

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Yolandi,

I think you got confused with the match type.
As mentioned by you that all your keywords are in exact match. It means your ads will trigger only if that particular keyword will be searched by the user.
Example: keyword is [i use exact match]
Now the ad will be triggered only if user type exactly same i use exach match without including any word before or after this.
If you want to include the keyword as a phrase hence including word before or after or both like "how can i use exact match properly". So to trigger your ad for this particular query, you need to use phrase match using "i use exach match" (double inverted comas)

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Archit

I am using exact match as I want my keywords to trigger only for exactly what I have. So, for example if my keyword is "cold storage warehousing" I want it to trigger for exactly that. However, Google is displaying my ads for only the word "warehousing" without cold storage being present
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by CassieH (Community Manager)
October 2015

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Hi Yolandi,

I suggest you to download all your keywords (at account level) in excel and cross check it with CTrl + F whether there is any single keyword as warehousing which your eyes unable to find.

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I will definitely do that.

Thank you for your advice.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Oh my goodness you were right. i cant believe after all the changing and testing etc I missed it - thank you Smiley Happy