AdWords
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

International Advertising Best Practices - Share and get featured on the AdWords Blog

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Hi Friends,

What are some tips for international advertising? What works well and what doesn't? What are some of the must-dos? 

Share your best practices on 'International Advertising'. 
The best of the best practices shared will be featured on the AdWords Blog. So, put on your thinking hats and share away - but not shy away.
Thank you for your participation,
Mini
6 Expert replyverified_user

Re: International Advertising Best Practices - Share and get featured on the AdWords Blog

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi everybody;

This is one of the toughest tasks on AdWords: it involves Geo-targeting, language targeting and culture;

I will start by outlining the main points that need attention: (We can expand, as the discussion continues.)

• Geo targeting: We need to remember that in most countries outside the USA, AdWords can target only by region. (vs. by zip code, radius or metro available for US Geo-targeting). Moreover, in many countries Geo-targeting by region is not perfect either. Targeting by intent,  in addition to targeting by location - is usually essential;
  • Hence, the territory targeted, is wider. Make sure that the service / product advertised can be supplied / or shipped to all locations in the region targeted. If not - include negative keywords.

• Landing Page: Have a clear landing page in the local language. Ask help from a 3rd party (not the client! ), to check the Landing Page content / text: make sure that it does comply with AdWords policy requirements, and edited in accordance with AdWords guidelines. (Do not count on google translate:  ask someone who speaks the local language!). Specifically verify that online form includes all fields for contact info. If a phone number is listed - check that it is a correct telephone number. (800 numbers are not common in many countries)

• Ad-copy: Ad-copy should be written by a local, who speaks the language and its nuance / jargon fluently. (Even if you are a graduate of the Goethe institute or L'institut francais, let a native German or French speaker do the ad-copy. It can "save" future embarrassments... Smiley Embarassed)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: International Advertising Best Practices - Share and get featured on the AdWords Blog

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I would prefer to create separate Account per country so that I can create a better Account/Campaign structure & manage it efficiently.

For Example: Suppose I am promoting in 10 different countries and one of them is Norway

I would prefer to create separate account under one MCC for each country & the account structure will be as follows:

Campaign1: XYZ_Search_Norway

Language - Norwegian

Adcopies & Keywords in Norwegian Language

Campaign2: XYZ_Search_Mobile_Norway

Language Settings - Norwegian

Campaign3: XYZ_Search_English

Language Settings - English

Adcopies & Keywords in English Language

Campaign4: XYZ_Search_Mobile_English

Language Settings - English

Adcopies & Keywords in English Language

Campaign5: XYZ_Display Text Ads Campaign

Language Settings - English + Norwegian

Campaign6: XYZ_Display Banner Ads Campaign

Campaign7: Remarketing Only Campaign

1. Adgroup1: Text Ads
  2. Adgroup2: Banner Ads

Adcopies in Norwegian Language

Campaign8: Topic Only Campaign

1. Adgroup1: Text Ads
  2. Adgroup2: Banner Ads

Adcopies in Norwegian Language

Common Setting for all above Campaigns:

Location Settings for all Campaigns Would be "Norway"

Location Advanced Options: People in my targeted location

Things to be consider while making Landing Page: 

-- Prefer to have separate landing page for each country/area. For Instance:

For France, Landing page must be XYZ.fr

If Norway, landing page must be XYZ.no 

Language of landing page must be in local language of each country. For Instance:

For France, Landing page language a local language French

For Norway, Landing page language a local language Norwegian

-- Prefer to give option on the top right corner to convert language in English.

-- Do not forget to clearly mention shipping methods and options for international purchases on your landing page.  

-- If Prices are mentioned in the landing page, make sure to use local currency of each country/Area.

Things to be consider While choosing Adcopies:

Adcopy should be in local language as per each Country/Area. Professional Translator required to avoid silly mistakes. We cannot completely rely on translator tools available on internet completely.

I will prefer to create separate account for each country & will follow above account structure. And will apply other google adwords advance strategies based on adwords policies for each company.

Thanks

Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I too am a fan of splitting out different target countries into their own accounts. I also like to pair these with a country specific (filtered) profile in Google Analytics. This also allows for easier country based content experiments in GA.

One thing you should never do is to expect ad text to translate well across geographies. ESPECIALLY in the same language. Always get someone local, on the ground in that location to ensure that your ad text matches local colloquialisms and lexicon.

Never have a translator translate your ad text. Ensure that the person localizing the ad text is familiar with PPC concepts such as CTR and quality score.

Add (dynamically if necessary) a country flag to the landing page to let the visitor know they are in the right place and reduce bounce rate.

Show testimonials and social proof of local people and organizations on your landing page too.

If you feature video on your landing page, ensure the person narrating or presenting the video speaks with an accent from the location you are targeting.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Quote:

"Add (dynamically if necessary) a country flag to the landing page to let the visitor know they are in the right place and reduce bounce rate."

Adding a flag is something I also strongly advise . The user immediately can recognize the web page language .I also recommend adding (next to the flag) the international (ISO) 3 letters country code  (A practice I adopted from the system used to "tag" athletes at the Olympics.)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by LynnyRose (Follower ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Some brilliant thoughts here! Thanks for sharing. 

The only thing I'd add is that you can also try out Location Insertion. This is a new feature that can allow you to insert the location of a user into the text of your ad itself. It is similar to Keyword Insertion, but instead of inserting a keyword, it inserts a specific location based on a user's location.

Location insertion can be used in ads with location extensions to dynamically update the city name, postal code, and phone number to match the geographic information in your customer’s search query. To do this, you’ll add a special tag known as a parameter to your ad text. These location-specific parameters can be added to your ad title, text, and display URL.

This link here explains Location Insertion in more detail and provides details on the parameters you will need to put into your ad text. 

A.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Everyone!

I must say some of the fantastic points have already been shared above Smiley Happy

In addition to great thoughts, my opinion would be not to skip one of the most important part of International Advertising i.e. Ad Scheduling or Day Parting. There are different time Zones in the world and a special attention should be given while scheduling your ads. There are brighter chances that if one of your Campaign is serving during day time in one Country, it could be dark in another one. So before setting the ad scheduling, a deeper understanding of your targeted countries time Zone is really important. It will help in setting the appropriate time and make sure that online users are seeing your ads especially during their day time depending upon the product or service which you are advertising.

Localization is the real key as already mentioned above. Local people, local language, local keywords does really matter while going for international advertising.

Local currency, international trusted badges for security perpective in the landing pages intended for international advertising plays key role.

While framing the strategies to select different keywords among different countries, Google Insight for Search is must. It will give deeper understanding and statistical data of growing searches and trends of the search terms prevailant in different areas across the globe.

I remember couple of more things in terms of Ecommerce websites. Shipping method national as well as international should be clearly defined on the website. It will help in preventing any kind of mess while advertising internationally.

Local Taxes should be clearly defined for various countries so that there is transparency while some user is looking to purchase online.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Good practices shared everyone. I didn't know about location insertion. Thanks Alys for that information.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Me neither. Location extensions while leaving the door open to be abused, are an awesome feature. Playing around with them now and seeing some pretty decent results!

Top Contributor Alumni
# 10
Top Contributor Alumni

I have one client that advertises in 26 different countries and this is how we have things set up.

We split the countries into 9 different generalised timezones. Australia & New Zealand together, USA and Canada etc.

We picked a central timezone to each country so we are only ever a few hours either side.

We had tried in the past to split each country into it's own account but it was quite difficult to manage and report on effectivly. We weren't restriced by budget & ad scheduling wasn't a probllem so we decided to combine them into fewer accounts under one MCC to manage.

The site is only in english and we only wanted to get users who understood english so all our ads were written in english.

We set each campaign to target the selected country and targeted english and the target country language/s. This helps get traffic from people who have their langauge settings set to their own language.

One of the biggest things we found was how differently each country performs at different ad positions. Some countries did well in high positions (1-2 did really well in the asia pacific region) and some needed to be dropped to lower positions (3-4 in the UK and USA) to get decent ROI. 

This will be largely due to the advertiser competition being different in each country so everything has to be tested and measured on it's own merits. What works in one country won't necessarily work in another.

Another thing that was a stand out difference in the way we had to set the accounts up was how we used the match types.

In the English speaking countries we tend to learn towards phrase and exact match more as it'smore accurate and it is the target users first language. When looking at the non-English speaking countries we had to go a lot more on the broad side of things to make sure we were getting enough traffic through. When thinking about language we need to remember that different languages can say the same thing but in a different way and words can be in a different order in a sentence.

We have quite a sophisticated back end tracking system so we are able to track the organic and paid converting terms and add in some foreign language terms to the campaigns when they  have worked but we have to be very careful about this.

As we are using mainly broad match in non-English countries we get some foreign language terms triggering our ads but we need to be careful about adding negatives from the search query reports as we don't want to stop the relevant traffic coming through. We send off our SQ reports to native speakers of the language for them to help review and get the correct terms.

It's all about testing and measuring the results. Just don't get stuck in your ways and think you know what's going to happen because more often than not, you'll get a surprise and you may not like it...