AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Initial low quality score

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi guys, I'm using a new adwords account. I loaded up the keywords and saw that almost all of them are assigned a very low initial quality score and a very high first page bid (triple that of the avg CPC). These keywords have no impressions or clicks. I've read that initial quality score is determined by the historical CTR performance from those keywords by other advertisers. However, my competitors are not writing relevant ads and are driving up the initial first page bids. (Sigh big companies ...)

Is there any way for me to get an account review so that Google can manually assign my quality scores (at least initially)? Is there any other way for me (besides bidding through the roof) to get a fair quality score off the bat? I believe my ads are relevant, my landing pages are relevant, as well as my keywords & adgroups.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Initial low quality score

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Problem solved. It seems like when your campaign is paused & doesn't have any clicks or impressions the only metric Google uses to determine your initial QS is the historical performance from other advertisers. However, the moment my campaign when't live Google used my account structure & relevancy to determine the QS. All is normal now. Thanks Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

>> Is there any other way for me (besides bidding through the roof) to get a fair quality score off the bat? <<

Negative, there isn't. This part of AdWords is algorithm driven, without human intervention. The good news is that if you accrue favorable stats it will overwrite the inherited quality scores over time.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Problem solved. It seems like when your campaign is paused & doesn't have any clicks or impressions the only metric Google uses to determine your initial QS is the historical performance from other advertisers. However, the moment my campaign when't live Google used my account structure & relevancy to determine the QS. All is normal now. Thanks Smiley Happy