AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Inherited a large, unorganized account. Need advice!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and relatively new to AdWords. My predecessor set this up with little understanding of best practices, and then at some point our AdWords account maintenance was out-sourced to the people that also work on our website because it became unruly and labour intensive. I am not inclined to think that AdWords needs to be labour intensive if done properly.

We're now aware that AdWords is something that can very much be managed in-house, so I am in the process of reading and looking at our existing account.

I've come to the conclusion that our existing campaigns are not organized very well, nor are they as targeted as the could be. There are a LOT of inactive campaigns, and what I'm really wondering is: How do I best go about cleaning up our AdWords account? Is it considered 'OK' to delete these campaigns and rebuild from scratch around our latest keyword and geographic research? Or is the analytic data that accompanies those campaigns worth keeping? Am I not considering other ramifications?

It just seems to me like the whole thing could be done a lot 'neater'. Not to mention there are inconsistencies in our Ad Groups and keywords.

I really appreciate the time anyone takes to read and consider giving an opinion on the matter. Thanks in advance.

-Rob

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rob G
September 2015

Re: Inherited a large, unorganized account. Need advice!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Rob,

I know it would be a little tedious task for you to re-organize the un-organized account as per your post.

My first suggestion to you would be to look at the way how your campaigns are organized like in the sense which categories they are actually build in. For example are they divided into the services/products you offer or how actually.

Then you need to find out which of the ad groups or keywords have given real business to you in the sense of ROI. To calculate that, make sure your account has enabled Conversion Tracking and the stats are visible.

If that's true, then you can make a list of converting and non converting keywords out of all the campaigns.

Similarly, make a list of converting ad copies. Then decide what percentage of the keywords, ad copies are actually converting for you and whether it makes sense to spend money on rest of the non-converting keywords or not.

Similarly, you can look at the keyword match type options and make sure that there is no excessive usage of Broad match type terms. Based on the statistics you could gather, you can re-work on implementing more specific match type keywords like phrase matches and exact matches.

You could also look at the campaign settings and see whether the campaigns are targeting Search and Display Network combined or separately. In my opinion, it is best to have them separate.

There are lots of many other techniques which could be followed to tweak the existing campaigns.

The whole idea should be to utilize as much data as you can from the existing ones and re-organize the account structure which actually needs serious attention. I won't actually suggest you to simply go ahead and delete the past campaigns. It's better to first pull up the different reports and then start optimizing the campaigns one by one.

I would encourage you to read this article on how to organize your account:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375470?hl=en

Best of Luck!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rob G
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Rob,

I know it would be a little tedious task for you to re-organize the un-organized account as per your post.

My first suggestion to you would be to look at the way how your campaigns are organized like in the sense which categories they are actually build in. For example are they divided into the services/products you offer or how actually.

Then you need to find out which of the ad groups or keywords have given real business to you in the sense of ROI. To calculate that, make sure your account has enabled Conversion Tracking and the stats are visible.

If that's true, then you can make a list of converting and non converting keywords out of all the campaigns.

Similarly, make a list of converting ad copies. Then decide what percentage of the keywords, ad copies are actually converting for you and whether it makes sense to spend money on rest of the non-converting keywords or not.

Similarly, you can look at the keyword match type options and make sure that there is no excessive usage of Broad match type terms. Based on the statistics you could gather, you can re-work on implementing more specific match type keywords like phrase matches and exact matches.

You could also look at the campaign settings and see whether the campaigns are targeting Search and Display Network combined or separately. In my opinion, it is best to have them separate.

There are lots of many other techniques which could be followed to tweak the existing campaigns.

The whole idea should be to utilize as much data as you can from the existing ones and re-organize the account structure which actually needs serious attention. I won't actually suggest you to simply go ahead and delete the past campaigns. It's better to first pull up the different reports and then start optimizing the campaigns one by one.

I would encourage you to read this article on how to organize your account:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375470?hl=en

Best of Luck!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply! I'll give that link a read this afternoon.

One of the most basic problems I have is that the account doesn't really reflect our services in any sort of structural sense. It's like they were loosely grouped together based on media campaigns we did in the area, but from what I've read that really isn't the best approach for us to use in AdWords as we are looking for clicks via keywords, not by just slapping our latest marketing slogan on an AdWords ad.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Rob,

In that case you should first review the keywords being used and see whether they makes sense to your real business or not. You might have to reconsider working on your keywords list first.

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I think that, for the most part, the keywords lists are solid. But the level of disorganization is high. I will likely take your advice and find out which ad groups and keywords performed best then reorganize them into new campaigns.

If I wanted to reorganize current keywords into new campaigns and make the current campaigns inactive, I am going to break the 'flow' of statistical data on those keywords, correct? New data will become available attached to the new campaigns and the old data will remain frozen as long as a campaign is inactive?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Rob, I'll let Pankaj continue his thread with you but I'd just like to pick you up on one thing you said in your original message:

"I am not inclined to think that AdWords needs to be labour intensive if done properly."

I'm not entirely certain of your meaning here.  Large and complex Accounts can be very labour intensive and all AdWords Accounts require some work.  If you think AdWords can be successful without hard work then you're likely to be disappointed with the results

You're quite lucky I'm writing this on a sunny day and I'm in a good mood.  If I'd read your comment on Sunday morning at 3am when I was at the wrong end of 7 hours of Keyword statistical analysis and reporting, my reply would have been very much less civil.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
I've managed many client accounts and most times, it's just best to start from scratch. Don't delete existing campaigns, simply pause them, you never know if you'll want to go back to it.

I suggest hiring a consultant to give you advice, even if you plan to manage the account in-house, and steer you in the proper direction. At the very least, it might avoid further problems. Be aware that whoever does this in-house will have to be dedicated to managing the account. This person will have a big learning curve, you do say it's a large account, more reasons to get a consultant in and learn from them.

I don't know what you sell but here's a real-life example. One client sells repair parts for generators, air compressors, snow blowers and the like. He had structured his account based on manufacturer. The problem is, some manufacturers make all kinds of things. Best to structure and have campaigns based on equipment. So I created a campaign for all snow blower parts, another for chain saws, etc.

You then need a good naming convention. I use in this case the manufacturer then the model as the group name. This works well because software can then run reports based on manufacturer if the client needs it.

Good luck Rob.