AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Increasing impressions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I service a defined geographic region which I have carefully identified in the settings for some of my ads and have every possible keyword which I can think of. I am still not getting very many impressions even though my budget is set fairly high and I never even approach the limit of my budget. How can I increase the number of immpressions?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author parkshighway
September 2015

Re: Increasing impressions

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

You can segregate mobile traffic into a new campaign, just like Theresa laid out for the display network. Select the device settings you want for the campaign (or networks, location and language targeting, etc.) in the settings tab. You can view mobile and network data for your current campaign by clicking the segment box, and selecting the segment (device, network) split you want to view.

Although, if you are not getting enough traffic, further restricting your advertising may not lead to an increase impressions. You may get more relevant traffic, but less impressions overall.

Is this a restricted area franchise / contract type of situation (like Snap-On, or MAC tools trucks for example)? It's easy to come up with ways to accomplish the goal of increasing impressions, but the circumstances of your specific situation are key to finding a way to accomplish your goal. Are there other mitigating factors that you can discuss, which further complicate the situation?

Are you restricted to a specifc service area, or is that just the way the service area is laid out (lopsided)?

Tom

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

If your territory is limited by the geographic region you can service, you can try adding the Search partner networks to your Google serving, if you're not already serving that population. You can also try adding a second campaign, servicing the Display network, to reach folks even when they're not on Google (unless your product/service isn't of the appropriate type). If you offer any kind of impulse purchasing or emergency services (restaurant selection or 24/7 towing service are two examples that come to mind, respectively), you might consider splitting out mobile traffic and serving it separately.

I'd really kind of need to know more about what you're selling in order to offer more specific ideas--sorry.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

One thing that might help would be to create a separate campaign with a larger location target radius but make sure you are using the location terms as part of each search term.

Some people may actually be in your target area but have an IP address that is just outside it and if you set it up this way you could possibly attract a larger but still relevant volume of search.

How tight is the targeting at the moment? 10km's, 50km's? 100km's

Re: Geo targeting

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

parkshighway-  welcome to AdWords community;

I would add a quick note to Theresa's and Purefuzz' answers, and say, that targeting small geographic regions (by zip code) is only available in the US . In other countries, though you can draw a geographic circle (on the Adwords UI), in practice, you can only target a much larger area. Are you located in the US? (And yet, even in the US, as purefuzz mentioned Geo-targeting is not perfect...)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

YES. I am a towing service providing 24/7 emergency services. The customer does not need to find my location, but they need to know where I am so that they can see that, in my service area, I am the closest service provider to them. I service six communities in an extremely rural area, but it is fairly large, but lop-sided and distinct area. I will try adding the names of the six communties to my key words.

How do I split out mobile traffic? I am not sure how much mobile traffic I am getting because the data signal in much of my service area is poor or non-existent. (Heck, I do not even have voice signal within five miles of my home and office.)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My service area in which I am the only service provider available is lopsided. It is along a highway and extends 30 miles (48 km) in one direction and 150 miles (240 km) in the other. (The highway is extremely rural and it is mostly wildersness on either side, so my area is not a circle, but a narrow oval with our location near one end.)

Are IP addresses bases on the address of the user or the address of the internet service provider? If it is based on the IP's address, then I am in trouble because the IPs are all in urban areas outside my service area. The problem is that I do not need to have my ad appear in the urban areas because I do not provide service there since there are many service providers (towing companies) which can provide better service there, while my company can provide the best service in our area.

I am assuming that most of the time people are searching for my services in my area, they will enter the name of the community as part of the search.

I suppose that a similar question applies to moblie device? Is their location based on their physical location as determined by GPS or cell towers or by their area code? A fair number of our customers are travelers from out of state.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author parkshighway
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

You can segregate mobile traffic into a new campaign, just like Theresa laid out for the display network. Select the device settings you want for the campaign (or networks, location and language targeting, etc.) in the settings tab. You can view mobile and network data for your current campaign by clicking the segment box, and selecting the segment (device, network) split you want to view.

Although, if you are not getting enough traffic, further restricting your advertising may not lead to an increase impressions. You may get more relevant traffic, but less impressions overall.

Is this a restricted area franchise / contract type of situation (like Snap-On, or MAC tools trucks for example)? It's easy to come up with ways to accomplish the goal of increasing impressions, but the circumstances of your specific situation are key to finding a way to accomplish your goal. Are there other mitigating factors that you can discuss, which further complicate the situation?

Are you restricted to a specifc service area, or is that just the way the service area is laid out (lopsided)?

Tom

Re: Geo targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am in the US. The area defined by zip codes is a good match for my service area. These are large areas for each zip code because of being so rural. The six zip codes cover an area which is 200 miles long, but only includes less than 3000 people.

A circle doesn't work because my service is so lopsided.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You are right in that, though not a fanchise like Snap-On or something, it is a defined territory. I do have contracts with motor clubs, but it is more a matter that in the urban areas there are a number of companies competing for jobs, but in my rural area I am the only one here and so can better and faster serve the people in this area. I do define my area by the existence of towers in other areas. We are the only towers in a 200 mile stretch of highway, so that there are 150 miles which we can reach faster than anyone else.

From what people have said, it could be that there are just not that many searches being done, but that expanding my area would only get me more impression, but they would not be with potential customers. (It does me no good if someone sees my ad if they are broken down 300 miles away and need a 10 mile tow, since they would never be a potential customer in that situation.)

Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner

I think I see now...

If you serve a strecth of highway, 200 miles long, but only a few miles wide, radius targeting doesn't seem to make sense. Why target X miles of wilderness north and south of an east/west strecth of highway? But, it's hard to target that specific area using the targeting options available.

In that sort of situation, you have to take what you can get, to a degree. You know there could be benefits to getting more impressions (business), try not to worry so much about potentially irrelevant impressions at this point. It's a process, and if you are in growth mode, don't be afraid to experiment.

Cap your daily budget at a level you would be comfortable spending, to accomplish the short term goal of getting more impressions.

Definitely experiment with the display network, in this case, with such a limited audience, you could probably just opt your current campaign into the display network, with the current structure/KW's you have already.

If that doesn't increse impressions, then keep expanding your targeting. Give the radius a shot, and expand it as far as you have to, to help meet your impression goal.

There is a stop gap measure you can use to prevent irrelavent clicks and costs, while you are trying to increase impressions - The ad text. "Serving the (location) area since (X)" for example, accomplishes several objectives. Establishing your service area, experience in the community, and "filtering" out those potential clicks from users who may see an ad outside of that area.

Not every click on your ad will result in a sale, it's a game of averages, and volume is an important factor. You have to be willing to pay for some potentially irrelevant clicks, to get any sales from PPC advertising. If there is no real competition for your service area, every click from every person in that area is a win. Awareness is part of the buying cycle, every user a potential future customer - At least it seems that way, in your specific situation. I don't think you can really lose by expanding your targeted area, and exploring the display network, as long as you are comfortable with the budget. Smiley Happy

Tom