Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Increasing Conversions from English Speaking Countries in AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

So here is the gist: Our company provides merchant account services primarily to e-commerce businesses. I began managing Google AdWords in-house this past April. I started out by not excluding any countries, but received leads from merchants living in countries we could not serve due to risk of fraud. Then, I excluded countries our company could not work with to eliminate unwanted costs. I then took it one step further and targeted only countries our company can serve. My campaigns performed very well. This month, I have been averaging nearly 14 conversions per day.

[I should also add that four campaigns are Search and Display, one is remarketing so it is Display only, and two are Search only. Prior to what you will read in the paragraph below, the majority of our conversions came from the Display network, but we had a significantly higher conversion rate with our Search conversions.]

However, throughout all of this, we received very few conversion from English-speaking countries--primarily the US, UK, Canada, and Australia. Yesterday afternoon, July 15, I targeted only those four countries. When I came into work this morning, I saw that we received very few impressions and only 7 clicks (as opposed to more than 500,000+ impressions in one day and 1,500-2,400 clicks in one day).

I am no Google AdWords expert, but I do understand that searching these terms in the US, UK, Canada, and Australia may be more competitive, which will require a higher CPC. I set it so Google manages my CPC, so I would assume this would adjust while staying within my daily budget.

I do not know what to do, but am in dire need of guidance. I do not know where to look online for help and Google AdWords Live Chat is not working.

Thank you in advance.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Increasing Conversions from English Speaking Countries in AdWords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;

I would start by looking into 2 "elements";

• Checking the search queries and keywords that trigger your ad using the "search terms report "
  • Reviewing your ad-copy making sure that the ad-copy is appealing and highly relevant to keywords in the ad-group;

A side comment: a local version of the landing page -  tailored to each market is recommended. (However;this is the next step after figuring the CTR  and impressions issue).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Moshe,

Thank you for your advice. Overall, I am having problems getting impressions. Another source suggested that since the US, UK, Canada, and Australia are more competitive, I should increase my max CPC and daily budget. I think this is a fair assessment, but I am also going to research more country-specific keywords. For instance business owners in the United States may search specifically for the term US merchant accounts as opposed to simply merchant accounts or online merchant accounts.

I am curious to know your thoughts on the Display Network. I feel like since I work in such a niche industry with specific terminology, using the Search only would generate more qualified leads. What are your thoughts?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Instabill C,

You wrote:
"we received very few conversion from English-speaking countries--primarily the US, UK, Canada, and Australia. Yesterday afternoon, July 15, I targeted only those four countries"

I am curious as to why you did this. These are the countries with the lowest conversion rates. I would think you would want to concentrate on the countries with the highest conversion rates, not exclude them.

I could understand splitting your campaign and placing these 4 countries in a separate campaign to see if you can optimize, but why turn off the countries where your sales actually come from? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again  @Instabill C ;

I also do not recommend niche services to advertise on the display network, unless in specific  sites (i.e. placements)  specific to this niche field.  (e.g blogs, on line sites...)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Pete,

I was getting lots of conversions from other countries. However, the conversions (merchants seeking merchant account services) were not as profitable or some not profitable at all compared to if the conversions came from merchants living in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, or Australia. It is for this reason why I want to target just those four countries.

My most profitable customers come from merchants living in those four countries. Why would I want to continue throwing away money on leads coming from every country but these four if they are not making me money in return?

Although I do have solutions for tech support merchants living in India (this is the majority of conversions from all of my campaigns), they are not as profitable as an online marketing firm in the United States or a PPI Claims merchant in the UK.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Instabill,

That makes sense to me. I was just curious.

Good Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords