4.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Increased bid per click significantly and lost rankings

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I recently broke out my PLA campaign from being one bulk bid to more specific separate bids.

Previously my bid was 20p for every product.

Since splitting them out (I did this earlier today) all my bids across every single product are significantly higher. Since I made this change, my rankings on google shopping listings have fallen from good levels to nearly last in all cases!

Could you please tell me why on earth this would of happened as like I said all I have done is actually increase my bid per click. As mentioned above, this happened to all products very soon after making the change so this must be the reason.

Does it take longer than a day to configure itself or have I done something drastically wrong?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Elliot

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Increased bid per click significantly and lost rankings

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Elliot, how are you tracking your position within Shopping results?  By doing your own searches, from a logged-in Google search?

Bear in mind search results are tailored to the individual so by searching for your own Ads you could actually be altering what you see, but not necessarily what everyone else sees.  You are, of course, also affecting their CTR by causing impressions without clicks.

Perhaps more importantly, if you only made this change "earlier today" (and it's still only half-past four), that's really not enough time to make any judgements.

I'll admit, tracking Shopping performance can be a real pain.  I do dearly wish we could have a "position" metric much like standard Search Ads do.  You can get an idea of performance from Impression share, but I've found this to be very... odd... in some cases.

Wait until at least tomorrow, then check your impressions and clicks for these products.  If you've increased bids, for those products you should see an increase in impressions (assuming they weren't already receiving all possible impressions, high in the results), if you do, I'd say it's working fine.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your reply. I have pinpointed it down to what is causing the problem.

As soon as I start to subdivide my categories under the PLA campaign all my products disappear from indexes. As soon as I delete the subdvided categories and just have a general campaign with just one bid they all come back!

Obviously this is not good, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Elliot

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Elliot, when you say "indexes" are you talking about the Shopping results in Search?

Assuming you are, that's very odd.  I'm going to have to ask for help here from our Shopping expert @Celebird .

The only thing I can think of is that whatever you're using as a search term is more relevant to the products as a group than it is to the individuals, but I'll see what Celebird has to say...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,
My thanks for the reply.

I will try and be a little more thorough in my response to shed some more light on the situation.

I currently have 2772 products listed under PLA, as previously mentioned all have been merged under one bid with no subdivdes.

Now when I break these out and subdivide I suddenly no longer appear under google shopping searches. My impressions stop increasing entirely.

I do sell branded products as well in which I am situated in a list with other competitors, upon viewing these after the subdivide these also dissapear compeletly (not even at the end of the list).

I am most confused by this as like u said above they would
Still appear even if the bid per click had to be increased.

I hope this helps a little
More understand my situation.

Thanks,

Elliot