Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Increase impressions with a current CTR of 9.77%

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I have quitedoing Google Adwords for a college and currently trying to get more impressions for my ad on a CAS (Certificate of Advanced Studies) in project management. We have a CTR of 9.77%, a high budget and all possible keywords that I can think of (which are suitable to the topic). I have increased the MAX. CPC as well but cannot think of what else I could do. Any tips?

Very much appreciated.

Thanks and hi from Switzerland

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stefania
September 2015

Re: Increase impressions with a current CTR of 9.77%

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Stefania, and welcome to the forum.  Are you actually losing any impressions?

If you're looking to increase impressions then your first step should be to establish whether there are any more to be had.  Tracking Lost impressions is a good way to get an indication of where (and how) you might increase your share of the available impressions.  Read more about it here.

Assuming the information from the Lost metrics indicates that you are already getting all you can, the only other ways to increase impressions is to add Keywords (not just other variations already considered), increase your Location targeted areas (if feasible and desirable) or reduce other account restrictions (such as Ad Scheduling).

At the end of the day it may simply be that there are no more "useful" impressions to be had.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon,

thanks for the very quick reply. I just found out that one of the most essential keywords "CAS Projektmanagement" is being used by our competitor (from the same college) for their product, which is also a CAS in project management but focusing on engineering projects. So it's actually a different institute/ centre, same college though (we are a very big school in Switzerland). So they use the same URL base and the status of the keyword therefore is at "Your ad shares a similar Display URL with a competing, higher ranking ad." I've now doubled the bid, anything else I can do about that? I guess increase the quality of the ad, but how?

Thanks in advance!

Stefania

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Stefania, what is your current Quality Score for the keyword?  If it's anything other than 10/10 then there may be an opportunity to increase this and gain a better rank.

Quality Score issues are usually related to relevance - you can hover over the small "balloon" next to the keyword to see Google's analysis of the keyword performance.  Keyword relevance is a more complex subject than it may first appear but thankfully there's this great post by Shilpi, a Google employee, on the subject.  This is actually Part 2 but there's a link to part 1 as well...

Other ways to increase QS are to improve the landing page speed; you could use Google's new "PageSpeed" tool to analyse your landing page and see if you can't speed things up a bit.

Monitor the results of your bid increase and other changes and let us know what you see.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits