Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Increase bids at the start of the month

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I know we can make bid adjustments based on the day and hour but is it possible to make adjustments on the time of the month? So for example is it possible to increase the bids at the start of the month  and lower them at the end of the month? 

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Increase bids at the start of the month

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Rashed,

You can use Automated Rules to achieve this. You'll have to select Monthly frequency and a criteria that would be applicable. However, please be sure to create another rule to reduce the budget at end of the month, as this rule wouldn't reduce the budget once it is increased. More info about automated rules here.

Good luck,

- Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Rashed,

Yes, you can do that by using Automate Rules

Create one rule to increase the bid at the beginning of month, and then create another to decrease the bid towards the end.

You will need to be more precise with the date and time. Something like - increase bid by 10% on 1st of the month, and decrease by 11% on the 15th of the same month. 

Campaign Management.png

Please be informed that the increased bid will not decrease by itself, you will need a separate rule to do so for you.

Hope it helps.

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Rashed, you could also use Scripts to get more control over when you make these changes.

However, can I ask why you're doing this?  It's actually quite rare to find a product or service that has a monthly pattern based precisely upon days of the month.  We humans tend to like to think in terms of "October" and "November", but the product/service you're advertising probably doesn't care whether it's the 31st or the 1st so unless you have a sound business reason for adjusting bids in this way, I'd reconsider.

As always, bids should ideally be informed by performance, not by arbitrary decisions.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I think it is a good strategy, us humans who get salaries usually get them in the first half of the month, and tend to spend them in that time-frame, making less purchases towards the end of the month Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks for the help everyone.

I was thinking on these lines as well but I've been told that if you make a change to the account that affects the automated rule, then it breaks the rule. For example if we have an automated rule to start some ads at a certain time and then just before the rule runs, a change is made to a line in one of the ads, the automated rule would break. Is this true?

Adrian, you've hit the nail on the head there. We did some analysis and found that conversion rate seems to be higher at the start of the month. We think this is because people get paid at the end of the month and therefore have more money to spend at the start of the next month.

Jon a script would be great but I'm not able to write scripts at the moment. Is there a ready made one available somewhere which can do this or something similar that I could change?

Thanks again everyone

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Rashed,

The only thing that can "break" a rule is if one of the conditions of the rule can no longer be fulfilled.  For example, if you demand a certain Label exists but no elements have that Label.  Simply changing the text of an Ad won't affect rules, nor any other changes not part of the Rule conditions.

Make sure when you look at your conversion data you also look at the Time Lag and the Path data from AdWords/Analytics.  If you're seeing a statistically significant data set that shows conversion rates are higher at the start of the month, that doesn't necessarily mean that your customers first clicked your Ads at the start of the month.  If your products/services are those that attract limited budget buyers who are mostly paid towards the end of the month, then it's quite likely those customers will have been looking for vendors before the end of the month.  I'm sure we've all done "wishful" shopping on the Net and if someone is intending to buy a product when they get paid, it's unlikely they'll wait until the money is in the bank before they start looking for the best price.  If you reduce your budget/bids towards the end of the month you could reduce the impact of your advertising on these prospective buyers and find that it affects your conversions at the start of the month.

In fact, if data from the Search Funnels reports shows a long lead time to purchase, there's an argument to suggest you should increase your bids/budget at the end of the month to capture more people on this first click.

If you're not familiar with the Search Funnels reports, click on the "Tools -> Conversions" menu option, then on Search Funnels in the left-hand column, then look at the Top Paths, Path Length & Time Lag reports.  Choose the longest time period that you can with reliable data.  Path Length in particular will show you what percentage of your conversions - and what percentage of their value - happen after so many clicks.  If you see a reasonable percentage requiring more than one click, that's comparison/preview shopping.

You should also check the paths report in Analytics as it could also be that people click an Ad first, then return via organic search or direct via a bookmark.

It may not be a problem, but be prepared to watch your conversions closely and make sure you're not actually harming them.

The script to change the bids/budget by day of the month would be fairly simple, I'll try and get an example written up today or tomorrow.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,

This is an awesome post, thanks. You've given me a lot to look into here. I'll definitely be checking out Search funnels and yeah, we'd need to monitor performance very closely.

Thanks again Jon and I look forward to seeing the example script you put together.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Rashed, can you get in touch with me via my profile please; I'll need some more details to form the script and they're best discussed off this public forum.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hello Adrian,

I totally agree with you but what if the campaign major goal is to generate more clicks not on conversions?