AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

In google keywords planner, what search volume actually means?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In google keywords planner, how would I know number of people targeted based on search volume for a set of keywords? A person can obviously search multiple times. 

And so this can be tricky for people who are designing marketing strategy like which place to hit first. May be a city is having high number of searches but less number of people are searching frequently as compare to another city where many people are searching for the same product but less frequently.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: In google keywords planner, what search volume actually means?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Kshitiz A

You are absolutely correct when you say that the same person can search multiple times and can be served your ad. I don't know any way you can estimate the number of unique users.. but the one way of solving this atleast on the GDN is to use frequency capping...
This will ensure that a unique user sees your ad only X number of times per day or week etc for ads or campaigns.
Read more here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/117579?hl=en

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi K (I get a Bleep in place of the S*** in your name),

Apologies for that!

That's a great question and you are correct here and so is Shweta. The number of impressions that you get from the planner for a set of keywords is not unique and will consist of users who may view your ads multiple times throughout the campaign duration.

There isn't a sure shot way of getting a unique impressions number from the tool or any other tool for AdWords (at least) but what you can do is what Shweta suggested, for GDN campaigns, limit the frequency of your ads to a number that you think is at least needed to get an engagement from the user.

Other than this, Search is a very competitive network and you will have a lot of times during the day when your ads have not been shown on the SERP. And if you think about it, the intent of the user on the Search network is very different from the Display Network, While Search is a Pull Mechanism, Display is a Push mechanism where you constantly bombard the users with your ads.

With Search network, you are at least sure that your ads are being shown only to those set of audience who are actively looking for products or services related to your themes. So in a way, with the proper set of keyword targeting combined with the right match types, you can ensure you are showing ads to only those users who have the potential of converting on your website.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi K**** A,

although this is not the direct answer you are looking for, I've tested the keyword planner search volume against excluding (RSLA campaign) visitors already been on my site.
It's was somewhere 75 - 95 % .