Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Imps dropped rapidly after splitting and copy/pasting campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

it's now already a month ago that I splitted my main campaign containing ~20 ad groups into several campaigns where each contains now about 2-5 ad groups. I copy&pasted the main campaign several times and paused the ad groups with exception of 2-5 per campaign. I also lowered the Max CPC for about 30%. Problem is, no impressions (and clicks) are achieved anymore. I would understand, if performances drop when I lower the Max CPC, but I don't get why my ads are not exposed anymore like before. Is it because they need lots of time now to recalibrate or sth?

As it was recommended I also increased the Max CPC again for one of those campaigns (tried it with the campaign that has the keywords/ads which actually always exceeded my budget before) but now, there are almost no impressions and I have no idea why. Every ad is still on place 1,x to 2,x and the quality factor is 7-10 but obviously the ads are not shown anymore (or really rarely). I also tried to use the ad preview tool but the diagnosis is not possible since I target specific age groups.

Can someone help  me out here or has an idea what is going on? Do I have to increase the Max CPC even further so my ads are being displayed again? So do I actually pay for being displayed, cause the position is already 1-2 everywhere...

Best regards,

Frank

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Frank,

How are things going now? I see that it has been six days since you posted this (sorry for the delay) so hopefully some actions have started up by now. 

Please let us know what you discovered. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James,

thanks for your reply. I am still trying out things, but I guess it's just about raising the Max CPC Smiley Sad.

Best regards,

Frank

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

You always want to be careful about using copy and paste - Definitely double check all your settings for each campaign, down to the adgroup level. Make sure you are not running any automated rules or scripts that were setup with the single campaign, and could be ineffective or "broken" now that you have multiple campaigns.

Look at the total data for the entire account before and after the change. It would make sense that each campaign is accruing fewer impressions, since you have more total campaigns. How much total impression volume have you lost? Search network(s) only, or search and display? If there is one area in particular where you lost the most impression volume, that might provide a clue as to what is really going on here.

Tom