star_border

Improving Remarketing Campaign

WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All

I've had a remarketing campaign up and running for just over 2 weeks now and I'm slightly disappointed as to the amount of traffic is it generating.

The campaign is targeting all countries and territories and targeting the list which contains 'All Visitors'. The list size is about 10,000 and I only had about 43 clicks in the first 2 weeks. I'm using image ads generating using the display ad builder and have various sizes. I am using a frequency cap of 3 impressions per user per day.

Does anyone have any sort of bench mark figures for traffic generated from a remarketing campaign? Or any suggestions for the best use of frequency capping?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Improving Remarketing Campaign

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hmm, if they don't sell online I'm not sure how many clicks you can reasonably expect as they may have little reason to visit the site again.  For example, if I visited the website for a local restaurant, and they ran Remarketing Ads that I then saw while browsing, I'd really have no reason to click as I'm already familiar with the business and its location.  The same issue could be happening here; you're aiming Ads at people who have already seen the site, know there's no option to order online and perhaps have little need to revisit.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi WRD, it's very difficult to give detailed feedback on an issue like this without knowing more about the business itself, not least how likely it is that previous visitors will be interested in clicking the Ad.

I would say perhaps that 3 is a little low for impression cap.  I tend to use 10 for most of my Campaigns so you could experiment with increasing this number.

Have you considered creating more segmented lists?  For example, previous buyers, people who almost bought, people who visited X number of pages and/or stayed X seconds on the site, tailoring the Ads to these segments?

Can you give us an idea of the nature of the business?  We may be able to offer more help.

Jon

WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jon

Thanks for your reply.

Haven't really tried any segmented lists yet. It is quite a short campaign for a really big sale of bathroom brand products. Basically it is a business selling bathroom products. They don't actually sell online, but promote their products online and have the facility for visitors to search for a showroom near to them.

I will have a go at increasing the impression cap.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hmm, if they don't sell online I'm not sure how many clicks you can reasonably expect as they may have little reason to visit the site again.  For example, if I visited the website for a local restaurant, and they ran Remarketing Ads that I then saw while browsing, I'd really have no reason to click as I'm already familiar with the business and its location.  The same issue could be happening here; you're aiming Ads at people who have already seen the site, know there's no option to order online and perhaps have little need to revisit.

Jon

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

In addition to Jon's excellent answer, I would like to address this question because I tested remarketing a lot :  "Does anyone have any sort of bench mark figures for traffic generated from a remarketing campaign?"

For me the traffic that I expect daily is around 5% of the audience, as impressions so from your 10.000 I would expect 500 impressions IF I also use text ads. The audience list is increased when the remarketing cookies is successfully placed in a browser but the system cannot decrease the list when the user clears the cache and cookies ( which can happen often if the visit from work and have a network admin).

Helpful ideas :

1) You never mentioned text ads, these are very important to gain impressions in GDN since not many placements offer all sizes for banners and text ads are redimensioned to fit almost any size the publisher allows. Can you try inserting at least 1 text ad in your ad groups just to test the impact ?

2) Another important aspect, have you tried remarketing using as managed placements also Gmail . For this you need to add keywords, it doesn't work without them. Instructions to add those 2 placements are found here : link 

An interesting thing is that for remarketing I never received impressions from Gmail until I created an ad group for gmail and added the remarketing audience to "target and bid".

3) Have you tried remarketing in search aka. RLSA described here ? You can just add this audience to an existing ad group, select "Bid" instead of target and bid and choose a bid adjustment in order to increase the bid when a previous visitor searches . Or you can bid for BMM keywords without worrying for high traffic because only the audience is targeted by default .

Impressions capping of 10 covers all situations, as it can be seen the following "Frequency and reach report" when you look at the campaign level  (described here : link

Screen shot from google drive ( since the forum does not allow uploading anymore)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7AZ-BM5YIi8aGw1VDBqQ1ZBTEU/edit?usp=sharing

Good luck !

WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi

Thanks Jon and Adrian! Both really useful answers.

I'll have a go at some of your suggestions and see what happens!