Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Improving Quality Score

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to improve the Quality Score on some of my ad groups to increase avg. pos, hence decrease my cost per click  (this is my first Adwords campaign to manage). I started cautiously with low bids, however QS is still very poor 3 weeks on, and to get the clicks, I have to increase bids by alot of money. I am trying to improve the exact match CTR as I know this is important to QS, however is this not a catch 22, as as long as there exists a poor QS, my keywords have a lower avg. position, hence people are less likely to click, hence a lower CTR ? Any advice appreciated Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Improving Quality Score

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

HI

I understand your situation and because max cpc and ctr both are part of QS calculation you cant have cake and eat it too.

Here are things you can try though 

• Have lesser set of keywords in adgroups, even 1 keyword per adgroup in some cases
  • Have very relevant adcopies on each adgroup with keyword featuring in the headline
  • If possible build some relevant pages.
  • Make sure you have adgroup level negatives to negate cross triggering.

This should get you atleast started on your way to improving QS

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the advice theniks, I'll give these suggestions a try.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi JoannaB,

Nick wrote: "I understand your situation and because max cpc and ctr both are part of QS calculation you cant have cake and eat it too."

I'm sure he just mis-wrote this. That is not exactly true. AdRank, which determins your position on the page, is your max CPC Bid x the keyword QS. But, your max CPC bid is not considered at all in calculating QS. Quality Score is basically a click prediction calculation, how likely is your ad to get a click if displayed for this search query.

Low QS on keywords can mean a couple things. If you've just started your campaign, a low QS indicates other advertisers have not had much success with this keyword. If the keyword had 1000 impressions or more, low QS means the keyword has not performed well in your account.

You can get a higher position on the page by bidding higher, but if you don't get a good CTR in the higher position, you will need to keep bidding higher and higher to maintain your position as your QS could suffer from a low CTR.

Take a good look at your ad copy and the keyword(s) in question. If your ads are too generic in nature, or if they have been written to cover a wide range of keywords, they will often get a low CTR. Use fewer keywords in each AdGroup and write ads that tie in closely to those keywords and your should get a better CTR. That will improve your QS, which should lead to lower CPC and higher QS.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Have you tried using exact terms only?

Exact match allows your adds to show up only when the word is typed in word for word.

Lets say for example you sell children’s beds, you may have a term such as beds in your campaign, I would have the word

[Children’s Beds] by place the [ ] around the terms you want to advertise for, it will generally improve CTR and quality score.

Hope that helps

Daniel Jupp

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

focus on writing better ads, and making sure the landing page is relevant.

try using dynamic keyword insertion to increase the CTR of your ads.

http://www.wordstream.com/dynamic-keyword-insertion

also, add sitelinks, geographical location, and social extensions to the ads, for better coverage.

SEO the landing page for the keywords you are bidding on. that may improve the landing page relevance.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you everyone. Yes Daniel, after about 2 weeks of continuing the campaign in this way, I changed all keywords to exact match to try to ensure relevancy of the ads appearing to peoples searches. I am going to try optimizing ad content & landing pages and creating smaller ad groups for each now following these suggestions. Again, thanks for all the advice.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

you're welcome Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi JoannaB,

Everytime a user enters a search term which triggers your ad, Google calculate a Quality Score.

They calculate this Quality Score whilst considering many different factors related to your account, see below several of the important factors:

• Your keyword's past click-through rate (CTR): How often that keyword led to clicks on your ad
  • Your Display URL's past CTR: How often you received clicks with your Display URL
  • Your account history: The overall CTR of all the ads and keywords in your account
  • The quality of your landing page: How relevant, transparent and easy-to-navigate your page is
  • Your keyword/ad relevance: How relevant your keyword is to your ads
  • Your keyword/search relevance: How relevant your keyword is to what a customer searches for
 You can check the status of Quality Score for each keyword by hovering over the speech mark sign in Adwords next to the keyword, which gives you a rating out of 10 as well as a short description on how well it is performing against the following 3 factors, so you can check and monitor which areas need improving (See below as an example)