Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Improving Keyword Average Position

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

My keywords(having Q.S. 4 & 5) with high search volume and high competition have average rank quiet low(mostly above 2.5) I want them to improve their ranking so they can be clicked more times. I am ready to spend more money. Which strategy should I follow?

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
January 2016

Re: Improving Keyword Average Position

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Akshay,

Thanks for posting to the Community! There is not a "right answer" to your question, but I can give you some suggestions to start with:

1. Go to your Keywords tab and hover over the speech bubbles in the "Status" column of your table. You should see a breakdown of individual keywords' quality scores, and what (if anything) is bringing them down. Focusing on these three areas of landing page quality, ad relevance, and expected clickthrough rate will help you boost the quality score, which can in turn help you earn a higher ad rank
  2. Tackle ad relevance by making sure that keywords are separated into very specific ad groups, and that each ad group has ads that match well to the keywords. For example, if Ad Group 1 has keywords like "used cars" and "buy used cars," make sure you have "used cars" somewhere in your ad text, preferably your headline.
  3. For expected CTR, experiment with different match types. Using only broad match terms will make it difficult to rank high on a term with a lot of competition, but changing that term to broad match modifier or phrase match will help you zero in on the right traffic. Also make sure that you're using all the relevant ad extensions, including sitelinks, callouts, call extensions, and location extensions.
  4. After you've gone through these steps, then you can try raising your keyword bids. When your quality score is average (around 5-6), getting into the top two spots is sometimes a matter of bidding more competitively.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Cassie

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

A quick addition To @CassieH's reply.

Remember, that QS is relative (score) to other advertisers (bidding on the same keywords)

Google does not disclose the distribution it uses to "normalize" the score, but there are vertical in which it's really hard to get a QS above the average for a competitive keywords. In this case you might want to test a long tail keywords, and achieve a CTR (the predominant component of QS) which is above the average.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Dear Akshay,

Thanks for posting in the Community.
As you know improved ranking never depend upon the costing. There are lots of other factors which are responsible for improved ranking of your ads. As you mentioned that your quality score is low so I suggest you instead of increasing the CPC, increase your quality score by improving your ad relevancy. For this you can do the following things.

1) Improve the relevancy of your ads with targeting keywords
2) Improve the relevancy of your landing page
3) Improve the cpc if that is required after doing above changes.

Follow these steps, I am sure you will get higher position for your ads.

Thanks.

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager
Hi all,

Just to clarify what Om T said, your bid (or Max CPC) does have an impact on your ad rank. What it does not have an impact on is your quality score!

Cassie

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

Thanks to all for your responses.
My plan is to invest more money and get good ad position for my ad so that it can be clicked more times. I results in better CTR. I am trying hard for Q.S. also but the keyword is too competitive.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Good luck...