Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Improve search performance

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

My campaign seems to get lots of traffic on the display network and my remarketing campaign, but little traffic appears to be coming from my 'Search' campaign. I am using the 'Search Network with Display Select' campaign type, split into the three default campaigns, Search, Search Network and Remarketing.

I just wonder what this might be down to and how I can improve traffic from Google searches, etc. ?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Improve search performance

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sam,

Welcome to AdWords Community! 

Frankly, I am not a fan of Search with Display select campaign type  but it depends on Advertiser Strategy Budget etc. If budget is too less and can't segregate budget in three campaigns, can test run by search with display select campaign. 

I would prefer creating separate campaigns. One for Search Network only, second for Display Network only and third for Remarketing only campaign. Since you ran campaign for sometime, you must be having idea on budget each network type consuming and results from each network type. You can allot budget considering results. 

For your second query regarding Search Network Performance improvement - I would say select relevant keywords and use proper match type. Dedicated adcopies and relevant landing page to add in campaign. Since you already ran campaigns, you can check search queries and can add relevant queries as keyword in your campaign.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have more questions.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Sam, how are things?

I'll go with Neha on this. As part of best practices and also part of optimization process, it's much more recommended to have one campaign for each: 1 for Search, 1 for Display and 1 for RMKT.

Those are very different channels with totally different user behaviors, so having them in different campaigns will give you the ability to control and optimize deeper.

As part of Search Optimization, a few things you need to consider and work with them all together to achieve your results:

Keywords Match Types

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Match Types will give you control over the searchs that trigger your Ads. For instance, if you sell Cars, it's probably not a good idea to have your ad showing for someone looking to "car accidents" right? Avoid Broad keyword if you can, because they will consume a large part of your budget with probably low results. Prefer using Broad Match MODIFIER, Phrase and Exact match types.

Negative Keywords

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453972

As you buy keywords that you'd like to SHOW your ads, there are keywords where you wouldn't like to show the ads. In that case, you should use Negative keywords. Taking the car example, you'd add the keyword "accident" as a negative keyword, so every search containing that word, will not trigger your ad. It's important to add variations as well, singular, plural, typos and this kind of things. DO NOT include keywords that you WANT to appear, otherwise, this can cause conflicts, so look only for the term you want to remove, e.g: Don't add "car accident" as negative keyword, add just "accident"

Search Terms Report

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708

The Search Term report it's one my favorite reports. It can show you keywords searched for the users that triggered your ads generating at leats one click for you. Those keywords are keywords that you have and don't have in your campaigns, so it's a great place to discover new keywords to add to your list, as also keywords that you would like to include as negative ones.

There a few other things that I've covered here:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/wine-bar/m-p/474662/highlight/fal...

Hope this can help.

Cheers,

Leandro Martinez

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Neha

Many thanks for your reply. Sorry, I hadn't made myself clear! It is split into 3 campaigns for Search Network, Display Network and Remarketing as you say. However, the Display and Remarketing campaigns seem to be performing far better than the Search Network, which I obviously want to try and improve! For example, we have had a lot of clicks and impressions on keywords and adverts in the Display and Remarketing campaigns but not near as many from Search!

I am using the broad match modifier on our list of keywords which are all relevant terms people might enter when searching for one of our products. Bids on keywords are set to manual but these meet the requirements for '1st Page Bid' , yet this doesn't seem to have an impact. Last month the top performing keyword only had, a total of 12 clicks for example, for which I am sure used to do better than this!

Appreciate any advice you can give. :-)

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager
Hi Sam,

When you have everything rolled into a Search with Display Select campaign, the budget is shared between both networks. The issue there is that there's no way for you to control how much of the budget (or impressions or clicks) goes to Search vs. Display. So it will make it much easier for you to optimize and have control over your traffic if you split the campaign in the way that Neha and Leandro suggested.

Hope this helps!
Cassie

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Sam,

What is the status of Impressions? Do you see drop in impressions or Impressions are same? If you are getting impressions but not getting clicks - I would advice you to check in Ad Preview and Diagnosis Tool at what position your ads are appearing and how is competitors ads? May be your ads are not attractive enough for user to click. User finding competitors ads more compelling? Try tweak in adcopy and see what happens.

I would also advice you to check opportunities tab and see if you can find some good suggestions! Also Use keyword planner and try add more variations of keywords. What is the average position of keyword? I am not sure what is your campaign settings but sometimes if location targeting is too small we tend to see less clicks. Do check search query report and see terms that received clicks. You can add variations of terms as keyword in your campaign to receive more clicks.

Hope that helps!

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
Hey Sam,

I think I misunderstood your explanation, which is why my last post might be a bit confusing. Just to clarify, when you look in the Settings tab of your account, are the "campaign types" next to each of your campaigns called Search Network Only, and two Display Network Only campaigns?

Thanks!
Cassie

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Cassie

Correct, these are the three campaign types I see:

Display Network
Google Search; Search partners; Display Network
Display Network

Thanks,

Sam
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Sam,

Google Search, Search Partners and Display Network. It should be Search Network only.

According to your current campaigns as you mentioned above I see duplicacy of Display Network. Campaign Type: Google Search; Search partners; Display Network
should be Campaign: Search Network Only.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2567043?hl=en

Let us know for any confusion.

Thanks
Neha

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you Neha, I have made the modification to read 'Google Search Network'. Is it wise to have 'Include Search Partners' selected too or would you not recommend this?

Interestingly I have seen an increase in search impressions to increase to 3,000 and clicks to 20, and the 'Remarketing campaign' seems to attract somewhere in the region of 77,000 impressions ans 200 clicks. How can I increase my clicks and impressions on the campaign for the Search Network as I would like to increase this? Or is it just dependent on bids/ budget?

Many thanks in advance.

sam