Guide Me
star_border

Improve results in general

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey AdWords PPL,

Can you please explain me:

A) what does AdWords use to calculate recomended  campain budget in search network? (clicks, conversion, ... ) 

B) What is the main reason why I should not have duplicated KW? I mean, is the only reason that they comepet with each other or also both can be shown which means that CTR is going down coz user can click only one add so the other one get worst CTR resuts?

C) If I set my ad campain ad extension and ad group extension, which one will be show? if both, in what order the extension will be shown? or does it depends on searching kw?

Thank you

- Lukas
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lukas Melichar
September 2015

Re: Improve results in general

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Lukas,

Great questions! I've outlined my answers below:

A) The recommended budget is calculated by looking at the available daily traffic for the keywords in your campaign, the total number of times a search term matches a keyword in your campaign. It's just focused on the maximum number of times your ad could show in one day and does not take into account conversions. You can add in the Search Impression Share columns and look at the one that says Impression Share lost due to budget so see what percentage increase you could get in impressions if you increased your budget.

B) If you have duplicate keywords targeting the same location, only one will show an ad in each auction. Typically, it will be the one with the best ad rank at the time based on your keyword bid and quality score. There isn't direct harm to your account in having duplicate keywords, but in order to ensure better control over your keywords and ads you shouldn't have duplicates if the targeting is the same. I have many campaigns with duplicate keywords though because they are targeting different GEOs and I want different ad messaging for each location.

C) The ad group level will trump campaign level settings if you have both set. If by order you mean, different ad extensions multiple can show at the same time. For example, we have sitelinks, location, call, and social extensions and they typically all show with our ads if we are in top spots. Know that sitelinks can only show with your ad if you are in the top spots. How AdWords chooses which ad extensions to show when, I don't know the exact method but from my experience would assume it has to do with quality score and ad position.

Let me know if you still have other questions!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you Bethany, just one personal. How long do you work with AdWords?
- Lukas

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
4 years now and I can't believe how much has changed since I started, but it's very exciting!