Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Improve Quality Score

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Experts,

I want to improve adwords keyword quality score. My all keyword QS is 1/10 or 2/10.

Please tell me in your own words what to do to improve QS.

kind Regards.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lisa C
September 2015

Re: Improve Quality Score

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Lisa,

If you really have all 1/10 and 2/10 quality scores across all of your keywords, you may very likely have some fundamental issues with your approach to your campaigns.

I'll try to explain this the best I can here and offer some suggestions.  

There are a number of signals used to determine QS but they are generally categorized by Google into 3 categories when you review your quality scores:  expected clickthrough rate, ad relevance, and landing page experience.

You need to essentially have a closed loop. Your objective ultimately is to serve the end user. Think to yourself, if I were to search for this keyword, what kind of ad copy would I be enticed to click on and then, what type of landing page would I want to see once I clicked the ad. You want to create that perfect experience where the keywords in your ad groups are all similarly themed to the point where you ad copy will make sense for any of the keywords in that ad group and then send the users to the most relevant and useful landing page.

I don't really have a very systematic approach for you but I'll see if I can touch on a few areas that may help you.

Keywords

The first step I would think is to re-evaluate your keyword choices. When you choose keywords, the assumption here is that one way or another, these keywords are related to products, services, topics or ideas that are already, in some way, covered on your website.  You also want to make sure that you group these keywords in tight themes to allow yourself to create great ad copies later on. 

The keywords you choose could match a variety of search queries, depending on the match types you choose.  The broader the match type, the more variety of search queries your keywords will be eligible to match for.  To get an idea of how your keywords are currently performing, you can take a look at your search terms report. When your ads get impressions for irrelevant search queries, the likelihood of a user clicking on your ad is reduced significantly and if they do click, it's likely a waste of money because they're not looking for your products or services in the first place and could likely bounce immediately. By altering your match types and making use of negative keywords to narrow down the search queries that your keywords will match for, you will start to make improvements to your clickthrough rate that will ultimately have a positive impact your quality scores.  

To have a 1/10 or 2/10 QS for a keyword, it would seem that these keywords really need to be pretty far off from what your website is about. Bidding on 'desktop monitors' when you sell 'tablets' for instance would likely cause some relevance issues and eventually lead to quality score issues.

Ad Copy/Relavance

Now, once you have nice, tightly themed ad groups, where the keywords would all be relevant to the ads within this ad group, you want to create great, eye catching and relevant ad copies. Try to use your keywords in your ad copy, this helps create that connection (the closed loop I referenced earlier).  When a user searches for a particular product or service and then sees that you offer that product or service by reading your ad, there is an increased chance that they will click your ad to find out more.  But, it doesn't end there, you need to also entice the user, as well as use marketing tactics like creating urgency and using strong call to actions in your efforts. The final point in creating great ads that I'd like to mention is to choose the best possible landing page to send your prospective customers. I'll touch more on websites and landing pages shortly but be sure that you're sending your users to the best choice from your website to get them as close as possible to what they're searching for. The idea here is to create high quality ads.

If someone is searching for 'evening gowns', you'd want to send them to a page with 'evening gowns' or something very close to this concept, not to a page with 'shoes'.

Website/Landing Pages

Google likes to review landing pages for expected performance and they refer to this as landing page experience.  As I previously mentioned, it's very important to ensure that the landing pages you select for your ads continue your relevancy theme that you started with your keyword selection. You may also need to work on your landing pages a bit to make sure that they provide an amazing experience for the users.  

Compare it to a real life shopping experience.  You're walking through a shopping center, looking for the latest smartphone (think of this as searching on Google.com) and you notice in the window of a store that they have the model you're looking for a a sign that suggests you can get a great deal (this is your ad copy).  Now you open the door of the store (click on the ad), walk in and you find that the ceiling is leaking rusty water all over the floor, the sales folks pay you no attention and the store smells like rotting garbage. The chance that you're going to stick around are very slim and you're probably going to look for more options. Your website and landing pages can have the same impact.  Provide great information about your product or services incorporating your keywords, use your unique selling propositions, reiterate any deals or promotions and provide a clear and easy path for the user to achieve their goal, whether that be to fill out a form for more information, make a purchase or place a phone call as a few examples. Not only will these practices provide a better landing page experience but ultimately will also provide a better opportunity for conversions.

Clickthrough rate

As you know, the website and landing page is not the only factor, the expected (and actual) clickthrough rate on your ads is also a well known and big factor in quality scores. Many of the keyword and ad suggestions I previously covered are really geared toward improving this metric. Part of this is based on historical data from your account and sometimes from the way the keywords have performed for other advertisers as well.  What you can focus on though, is your own efforts.  Eliminating irrelevant impressions for your ads is the best way to immediately improve your CTR.  

Now, this is really only scratching the surface of what goes into Quality Scores - there are numerous articles and resources available online where you can continue your research but I hope this will help clarify some specific and immediate ways you can work to try and improve your quality scores and the performance of your account.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Lisa C,

Welcome to adwords community, Its a open-end question, but to know better please read the link carefully https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/Does-repetition-of-keywords-improve...

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Lisa C,
You can try by this link https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en

Thanks
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lisa C
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Lisa,

If you really have all 1/10 and 2/10 quality scores across all of your keywords, you may very likely have some fundamental issues with your approach to your campaigns.

I'll try to explain this the best I can here and offer some suggestions.  

There are a number of signals used to determine QS but they are generally categorized by Google into 3 categories when you review your quality scores:  expected clickthrough rate, ad relevance, and landing page experience.

You need to essentially have a closed loop. Your objective ultimately is to serve the end user. Think to yourself, if I were to search for this keyword, what kind of ad copy would I be enticed to click on and then, what type of landing page would I want to see once I clicked the ad. You want to create that perfect experience where the keywords in your ad groups are all similarly themed to the point where you ad copy will make sense for any of the keywords in that ad group and then send the users to the most relevant and useful landing page.

I don't really have a very systematic approach for you but I'll see if I can touch on a few areas that may help you.

Keywords

The first step I would think is to re-evaluate your keyword choices. When you choose keywords, the assumption here is that one way or another, these keywords are related to products, services, topics or ideas that are already, in some way, covered on your website.  You also want to make sure that you group these keywords in tight themes to allow yourself to create great ad copies later on. 

The keywords you choose could match a variety of search queries, depending on the match types you choose.  The broader the match type, the more variety of search queries your keywords will be eligible to match for.  To get an idea of how your keywords are currently performing, you can take a look at your search terms report. When your ads get impressions for irrelevant search queries, the likelihood of a user clicking on your ad is reduced significantly and if they do click, it's likely a waste of money because they're not looking for your products or services in the first place and could likely bounce immediately. By altering your match types and making use of negative keywords to narrow down the search queries that your keywords will match for, you will start to make improvements to your clickthrough rate that will ultimately have a positive impact your quality scores.  

To have a 1/10 or 2/10 QS for a keyword, it would seem that these keywords really need to be pretty far off from what your website is about. Bidding on 'desktop monitors' when you sell 'tablets' for instance would likely cause some relevance issues and eventually lead to quality score issues.

Ad Copy/Relavance

Now, once you have nice, tightly themed ad groups, where the keywords would all be relevant to the ads within this ad group, you want to create great, eye catching and relevant ad copies. Try to use your keywords in your ad copy, this helps create that connection (the closed loop I referenced earlier).  When a user searches for a particular product or service and then sees that you offer that product or service by reading your ad, there is an increased chance that they will click your ad to find out more.  But, it doesn't end there, you need to also entice the user, as well as use marketing tactics like creating urgency and using strong call to actions in your efforts. The final point in creating great ads that I'd like to mention is to choose the best possible landing page to send your prospective customers. I'll touch more on websites and landing pages shortly but be sure that you're sending your users to the best choice from your website to get them as close as possible to what they're searching for. The idea here is to create high quality ads.

If someone is searching for 'evening gowns', you'd want to send them to a page with 'evening gowns' or something very close to this concept, not to a page with 'shoes'.

Website/Landing Pages

Google likes to review landing pages for expected performance and they refer to this as landing page experience.  As I previously mentioned, it's very important to ensure that the landing pages you select for your ads continue your relevancy theme that you started with your keyword selection. You may also need to work on your landing pages a bit to make sure that they provide an amazing experience for the users.  

Compare it to a real life shopping experience.  You're walking through a shopping center, looking for the latest smartphone (think of this as searching on Google.com) and you notice in the window of a store that they have the model you're looking for a a sign that suggests you can get a great deal (this is your ad copy).  Now you open the door of the store (click on the ad), walk in and you find that the ceiling is leaking rusty water all over the floor, the sales folks pay you no attention and the store smells like rotting garbage. The chance that you're going to stick around are very slim and you're probably going to look for more options. Your website and landing pages can have the same impact.  Provide great information about your product or services incorporating your keywords, use your unique selling propositions, reiterate any deals or promotions and provide a clear and easy path for the user to achieve their goal, whether that be to fill out a form for more information, make a purchase or place a phone call as a few examples. Not only will these practices provide a better landing page experience but ultimately will also provide a better opportunity for conversions.

Clickthrough rate

As you know, the website and landing page is not the only factor, the expected (and actual) clickthrough rate on your ads is also a well known and big factor in quality scores. Many of the keyword and ad suggestions I previously covered are really geared toward improving this metric. Part of this is based on historical data from your account and sometimes from the way the keywords have performed for other advertisers as well.  What you can focus on though, is your own efforts.  Eliminating irrelevant impressions for your ads is the best way to immediately improve your CTR.  

Now, this is really only scratching the surface of what goes into Quality Scores - there are numerous articles and resources available online where you can continue your research but I hope this will help clarify some specific and immediate ways you can work to try and improve your quality scores and the performance of your account.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

HI,

Please tell me My Keywords "Cisco Phones" QS is 4/10 and "Cisco Phone" QS is 2/10 Why? In same Ad Group

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lisa,

I have scored a Google Adwords Quality Score 10/10 for a $3 Pay Per Click Keyword : Payment Gateway.
Its very simple, if you are selling shoes, talk about shoes not shirts in your Ad.

If you have a high Quality Score you will save 40 - 50% on every click, and your Ad will be ranked high.

lisa11.jpg

Regards,

Uday Chander

Google Adwords Certified

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
This early 2015 thread has been closed to new replies.

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question.

This will improve the visibility of your question as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thank you.