Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Improve Conversions

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Guys,

I have been optimizing my account for almost a month and I have had some results:

- increased number of clicks

- decrease cost per clicks

- CTR acceptable

Also my ads have a very good position on the serp, 2.9 average, but the conversions are just flat. Also my conversions' tracking code doesn't work and I have to measure conversions differently.

what should I do to improve conversions?

Cheers

Oscar

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Improve Conversions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Oscar,

PremioOscar wrote:

Also my ads have a very good position on the serp, 2.9 average, but the conversions are just flat. Also my conversions' tracking code doesn't work and I have to measure conversions differently.

what should I do to improve conversions?

Cheers

Oscar

Did you try installing the conversion tracking code in appropriate manner (http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722054) or do you have some different scenario of tracking conversions? If you can explain that here, Community will be able to address it more specifically.

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello there,

The code has been installed properly but it still doesn't work. I know we had some conversions by watching the sales but I have no understanding of what's working because the conversion code isn't reporting.

As I said, our ads get clicks but there aren't many conversions (fact that I know from the sales department), the landing pages aren't perfectly optimized and there are things that need to be changed such as:

- metadescriptions: they are similar for almost all pages

- keywords on the pages

- content not very scannable

Apart from this, what else should I do? I need to get conversions asap otherwise it is just costing money.

thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi...

I most cases there is only so much you can do to improve conversions within AdWords itself. If you are getting targeted visitors who have searched for a relevant keywrod and then clicked on a well written ad - they are about as qualified as they are going to be.

insterad you need to look at your site.

The first question should probably be - are visitors from other trafic sources converting significantly better than the Adwords traffic - if they are then the issue could still be within Adwords, but if they are not it's more likely site issues.

There are a number of things you can do within both AdWords and Analytics to test your site.

One of the most powerful tools in my experience is the Google Content Experiment - these are simple to set up - and you can test versions of your landing pages. Often small changes that seem insignificant can lead to differences in conversion rates that surprise...

Of course, until you get your conversion tracking working then there's no way to test anything (although with the Google Content Experiments you'll need an Analytics goal rather than an AdWords conversion)

Clearly any optimization will be done with a view to improving the conversions so focus on that first.

Obvioulsy simply pushing more traffic to a site that isn't converting is a recipe for disaster. I have often cut back campaigns drastically (in some cases completely) until we have worked on the site to get an acceptable conversion level and then work from there to improve over time.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hey Oscar,

If I would have been at your place, I would first try and resolve the conversion tracking problem since you are not able to track them inside Adwords. I will do a test conversion by clicking on my own ad and then see if it gets reflected in account or not.

There are some other methods as well to check that explained here: http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722021

You said you are getting good clicks, did you check the actual search queries like what users are searching for online and whether it makes sense to your business or not. 

Also, the main purpose of Adwords is to bring relevant traffic and then it's your landing page or the website which does the trick. You need to identify whether:

The landing page is giving the same info what users are trying to search and reached after clicking your ad?

Is the content on landing page unique?

Are there some good call to actions from online marketing perspective whether they are engaging users online or not?

Hows the bounce rate of your landing pages and is there a need to reduce that?

Find more details about landing page here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404197?hl=en

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Just a quick follow up... the AdWords conversions will only record conversions if the visitor came from Adwords.... any other visitors who reach the conversion page will not trigger an AdWords conversion.

Is this, perhaps, what you are seeing?

This is different from Analytics goals which will trigger for all visitors regardless of source. Within Analytics you can then segment by source to see how many of these came from each source (organic, adwords, etc)

These can also then be imported back into AdWords as conversions - rendering the AdWords conversion redundant (although there are reasons why some here prefer to use the AdWords conversions)

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

thanks guys,

I have been checking the search queries reports from Analytics and the keywords are actually relevant for our business.

I do think that the issue is with the landing pages.

Thanks for the help!

Oscar

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

by the way, it's so frustrating, and i need to get this things right otherwise I will have to deal with my boss!!

I am reading AdWords Help and other books, can you suggest any other resources?

thanks

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Also, if you don't mind, that is one of the landing pages  of the site I am on about, any feedbacks would be great!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PremioOscar
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Ooooooh - deja vu.... I worked with a cable client in the states a couple of years aog and there were very few items that we could move into profit - the margins are relatively small - not in terms of percentage, but just on a per item basis it's hard to make CPC work...

Have you set up a Google Merchant Center account? If you set that up with a complete feed you will probably find that will work quite well for you.

Otherwise I think you're going to have to be pretty brutal in terms of which product lines you advertise online.... concentrate in the first instance on those products that you can sell... I know that might sound obvious, but it allows you to optimise without losing money. Once you figure out what works at that levle then you can start looking to extend out into other product lines.

also there is little doubt that this is a techie site - not an end user store - you want to work quite hard on your negative keyowrds to discourage the single unit buyer - you'll never move into profit with visitors looking for one USB cable... need to avoid them both through negatives and through the ad text.....