1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Impressions from a Data Center

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a few customers in Northern Virginia and their area includes the city of Ashburn.  For both of these campaigns I have noticed poor CTR %'s and as I dig into Dimensions I found that they are getting thousands of Impressions from the Ashburn without any clicks.

After some research I have found that Amazon has a Data Center in Ashburn and read some articles by people with similar issues, but related to removing that data from Analytics.  

My question is how can I prevent my ads for showing for these searches and tanking my CTR?  The only thing I can come up with is IP Exclusions, but I have not found a way to get that information.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Impressions from a Data Center

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi John S,

You could use geo-targeting and exclude that area. That would exclude everyone in Ashburn.

The Amazon data center will have a limited number of IP's, it's probably a big number, but limited. Those addresses will be in one or more class C networks. That means the first three numbers are all the same. You block them using "starts with". Look through your web logs to identify the addresses.

I Googled IP addresses for the data center and found 54.209.60.63. Look through your web logs and see how many clicks you are getting from IP's that start with 54.209.60 and see what you find.

It doesn't make any sense to me, but a lot of things are like that. If it's not an ISP, the clicks shouldn't be coming from the data center. I don't know much about Amazon or the data center. Does Amazon provide ISP services?

Best of Luck,

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Impressions from a Data Center

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Pete,
Thanks for taking the time to look at this. On one of my campaigns I excluded Ashburn, but I want to try to find a better long term solution. I will use that IP Address as a starting point and see if I can find the rest to exclude those IP's.

Amazon Web Services is their cloud computing offering. So these Impressions I am getting could be from any one of Amazon's customers renting server space .

Thanks again!

John