AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Impressions dropped after changing from CPC to CPA.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We run a campaign for few months and got enough conversions to change from CPC to CPA bidding.

Once we made the change the impressions dropped by about 80% - from around 20,000 to 4,000. It has been that way for the past 4 days. The CTR remain about the same.

Is this a normal behavior of the system or is there a problem with the campaign?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Impressions dropped after changing from CPC to CPA.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Raz,

It's typical for impressions to drop slightly as Google is more selective about where your ad is shown but a drop that substantial likely means trouble. It likely means that your CPA bid isn't high enough. Did you set your CPA bid lower than the CPA you were previously getting with CPC bidding?

Best,
Amy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Amy,

The CPA bid is the recommended bid from Adwords and matched the historical number. Did not change it. However, the CPC is lower than it used to be in the change. But there is no way to affect the CPC now that the system is on CPA.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Raz, how many conversions did you see in the past 30-day period?  How many Keywords/Groups were these conversions spread across?

It's really important that CPA strategy Campaigns have enough data to make reasonable decisions.  You may have a Campaign with 50 conversions in a month, but if you've got 200 Keywords, and those 50 conversions came from just 10 of them, the other 190 - to the conversion optimiser - are effectively non-performers and may have dramatically reduced CPCs and therefore impressions.

CPA targeting works best where every Keyword in the element (Campaign/Group) has a statistically significant conversion history.  Without this history, the AdWords optimiser can only assume the Keyword isn't performing.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, John.

I failed to mention this is a display only campaign and we used "interest" targeting without any keywords for more than a month before changing to CPA.

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi Raz,

It is normal for a campaign that has been shifted from CPC to CPA to see a drop in impressions. Using historical conversion data in the campaign, CPA bidding basically tries to show your ads at instances or in your case placements ( since its a ICM targeted campaign) where you are more likely to record conversions. This is because, CPA bidding is part of Conversion Optimizer.

As you mentioned your CTR have remained constant and your CPC have gone down, this is a factor of the CPA bidding model trying to record conversions according to the desired CPA you have set (Target CPA) or the under the maximum limit that you have set for CPA i.e. Max CPA. Just remember, post the switch, your campaign is bound to behave erratic for sometime and then eventually settle down and start performing for you as soon as it finds its very own sweet spot.

Here is an AdWords link that may help you on this: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472713?hl=en

Here is another good article with discussions on effects of CPA bidding: http://www.ppchero.com/making-adwords-cpa-bidding-work-for-you/

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Targeting users (e.g. Interests) on the display  is not perfect by itself due to the inaccuracy of identifying users' interests.

Adding to that CPA targeting - is not a strategy I would recommend. My opinion: the combination of these two targeting methods has (statistically) a  broad margin of error.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Agree with you on this Moshe.

I think although it may help you record a lot of leads (basically push the conversion numbers), the quality of leads could be an issue here.

Let me know if I am wrong here.

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the insight.

How would you recommend to change the strategy to a more accurate one.