AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Impressions doubled with no change on our end. Need help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey everyone, so starting in July my search traffic doubled for unbranded campaigns and I'm not sure why. (from 12,000 impressions to 25,000 week over week) I didn't change bids and the increase in impressions were the same across top keywords.

There were two things that I saw change. My impression share increased by 8% from week to week, and also my avg. position went from 3.2 to 2.5. The major considerations for ad rank are Quality Score, CTR, and expected increase in CTR because of extensions. The campaign's CTR has been consistent, we have barely touched the extensions, and have not made any real changes to LPs or ads for quality score.

What else could have done this? Although I'm not complaining about the increase in traffic, it is still a drastic change to the account that we can learn from, and any help would be great so that I can add to or cross off possibilities!

Thank you,

Richard

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Impressions doubled with no change on our end. Need help!

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

To the best of my knowledge , as you haven't done any changes in the campaign, that probably has something to do with your competitors. Maybe one of your competitor stopped his campaign or decreased his bids or budget.

Also, The number of people who are searching for terms related to your keywords might have increased.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

As said by Ahmed - this could be seasonal effect..
What I am wondering is the following: if impressions increased and the budget is constant, assuming no major change in clicks, - CTR should decrease, unless you you (also)  increased the budget to compensate.

Could you elaborate?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It shouldn't be related to seasonality as this should be the slowest time of the year in terms of interest.

We do e-commerce, so a lot of our competitors in terms of adwords are companies like Amazon, Walmart, and Best Buy. I looked at impression share for the time period before and after, and it looks like our company's impression share went up by about 15%, while large retailers like Amazon went down by about 30% (from 17% to 11%). Could this be a Panda thing? (ie, eBay)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We have no real cap to our budget (as long as campaigns are predictable we are okay with this), so we saw the increase in impressions and CTR stayed the same, so we also payed for the increase in clicks. Any other ideas? Performance has pretty much stayed the same, but we're just seeing more impressions. we literally went from 12k impressions a week (and trend was declining) to consistent 25k impressions.