AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Impressions as negatives ? How to use broad match in small geo-areas

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to promote a Dentist business in a small city of 50.000 inhabitants , that has a low-volume tag on all the exact and phrase match searches.

This is why i need to use the broad match to capture more clicks , with the help of filtering search terms by using negatives.

Now I have a dilema regarding the usage of broad match, since it seems that the algorithm is building a negatives list on his own, using something i don't have access too, the search terms for which I only receive impressions, not clicks.

I noticed this confusing information in the certification curriculum :

http://support.google.com/adwords/certification/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=2497828

How broad match can help you

Spend your money on keywords that work: If your ad receives no clicks on a particular keyword variation, our system will quickly stop showing your ads for that and similar search terms. This prevents you from accruing click charges for keyword variations that aren't working and helps you focus on the keywords that work.

Now the question :

If I use the broad term ( not BMM ) dental implant , and it is searched and not clicked , today, for let's say 100 times for the "dental implant under 500 euro" .

And tomorow i set a promotion , change the ad for "Dental implant for 400 euro" which will be attractive for these searchers, but i get no impressions.

Has that happened because the algorithm has just blocked my broad keyword for ever for displaying this combination "dental implant under 500 euro" search term because it received yesterday 100 impressions with no clicks ?

Does this work in an exponential way without time-triggered resetting ? I mean you block me today for 10 combinations of the broad match keyword, tomorow for another 10 , and so on until google "helps" me to get no impressions for a broad match in a small geo-targeted location ?

This would seem really odd, but it is just like the help page explains it.

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: Impressions as negatives ? How to use broad match in small geo-are

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I think it's a false problem. Yes, if your ad does not get clicked for searches such as dental implant under 500 euro it may not get to be served for dental implant under 400 euro by the time you start using it. For that keyword, dental implant.

But:

a) If you change your promotion you should use that text as a keyword as well

b) The system will most likely tell you, when diagnosing that keyword or when using the Ad Preview Tool, that you have a low ad rank for that keyword, and you should be able to see why.

However, it's good to be aware of this behavior and watch your broad match keywords closely (though, sadly, the majority of novice advertisers never do, albeit using broad match keywords extensively).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian,

>> tomorow i set a promotion , change the ad for "Dental implant for 400 euro" <<

Thanks for the query, your concerns seem valid. Chances are I'd consider creating a new campaign or ad group for the promotional period of time, for reasons you listed. 

In general, there is a long, long way to go till a global search engine or an associated PPC advertising system may get 100% perfect. At the current phase of development most advertisers don't even expect that to happen, the lion's share of us are satisfied with workable options which can result in reasonable profits for our clients at our end. The art of PPC Management lies in being familiar with how the current system works, with their features as they are, and use the knowledge and experience to adopt your practices to it. 

>> algorithm has just blocked my broad keyword for ever for displaying this combination <<

As far as I know the algorithms don't know what  for ever means. Gut feeling is they re-visit abandoned options from time to time and adopt to a new situation when it emerges. However, that might be much slower than you'd like to expect.

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I think it's a false problem. Yes, if your ad does not get clicked for searches such as dental implant under 500 euro it may not get to be served for dental implant under 400 euro by the time you start using it. For that keyword, dental implant.

But:

a) If you change your promotion you should use that text as a keyword as well

b) The system will most likely tell you, when diagnosing that keyword or when using the Ad Preview Tool, that you have a low ad rank for that keyword, and you should be able to see why.

However, it's good to be aware of this behavior and watch your broad match keywords closely (though, sadly, the majority of novice advertisers never do, albeit using broad match keywords extensively).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the reply, but I think "the system" should tell the user about these "broad match combinations" that users are searching frequently especially since the search terms could be long tail keywords.

What I am really asking is : make a feature request to include these  "impressions" triggerd keywords in the search terms report. It would make google more money, as it would help users to adapt their offer to what clients could be asking for.

Otherwise they will abandon using adwords in small locations, if they see less and less clicks even on broad match keywords.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

They are there. Not for all search terms, but click-less impressions are usually there once there is enough volume. And I like to think that they are there before the system decides the volume is high enough to prevent the ad from showing for them.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian,

>> tomorow i set a promotion , change the ad for "Dental implant for 400 euro" <<

Thanks for the query, your concerns seem valid. Chances are I'd consider creating a new campaign or ad group for the promotional period of time, for reasons you listed. 

In general, there is a long, long way to go till a global search engine or an associated PPC advertising system may get 100% perfect. At the current phase of development most advertisers don't even expect that to happen, the lion's share of us are satisfied with workable options which can result in reasonable profits for our clients at our end. The art of PPC Management lies in being familiar with how the current system works, with their features as they are, and use the knowledge and experience to adopt your practices to it. 

>> algorithm has just blocked my broad keyword for ever for displaying this combination <<

As far as I know the algorithms don't know what  for ever means. Gut feeling is they re-visit abandoned options from time to time and adopt to a new situation when it emerges. However, that might be much slower than you'd like to expect.

Best,

Lakatos

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Lakatos

My concerns are these :

1) What grey zones are there in the documentation that could be exploited for the exam, this is one of them.

The more I use my time to untangle this information, the better chances i'll have to not fall in a trap, type of a question.

2) The adwords "tool-box" is too large, i get lost in it searching for the right wrench to fix a problem , i was hoping that more experienced users could have knowledge about a tool like a switch-off for this option that blocks keyword combinations resulting from broad match that only trigger impressions. Or at least to point me to a page where it says that it gets reset every 24 hours.

3) The third problem is that I have to explain to every potential client that the broad match doesn't really show his ads for every possible search term , and that it builds a collection of search-terms that block his ads , using this "many impressions-no-click" algorithm.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Adrian,

1. Don't be afraid of the exam. The multiple choice queries usually lag behind us. 

2. Yeah, there are too many options for one person to be familiar with each of them. Specialization seems unavoidable in the long term. However, that's the current path of development. 

3. As for the clients, I was never able to explain them such complex issues. They think I am more experienced than them and that's the only reason for which they trust me. They have a vague notion but don't fully grasp the details of how matching options work. When you buy a car you don't need to know the details of how it works or how it was built. (Not to mention that a lot of things were quite different a few years ago. E.g. broad match covered an incredible amount of questionable terms around 2008. Exact was match better in those months.)

Best,

Lakatos

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, thank you , I'll settle for this information , it was useful.

Offtopic : can I keep engaging in questions in another language that seem created automatically by some bots ? ( this forum could use a captcha for the first message), or is this forbidden by the forum rules ?

Some examples I had a lot of fun with : 

Vietnamese :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Ad-Approvals-and-Advertising/M%E1%BA%A1ng-hi%E1%BB%83n-th%E1...

Croatian :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Po%C5%A1tovaniVidio-sam-da-vi-tra%C5%BEite-h...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Yep, that's fun. I also enjoy doing it when I am in the mood. As long as it is not frequent, that's okay I think... Smiley LOL

(However, be also aware that Google Translate is at its best when you build simple sentence structures and avoid idioms.)