Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Impressions and clicks have dropped after display select update

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

In August I received an email and notification on my account to upgrade my campaigns from "search network and display" to "search network and display select".

After doing this I noticed my impressions drop from 30k per day to around 2k per day. Also my clicks have decreased from 400 - 500 per day to around 200 per day.

Now I understand that the new system is to improve the CTR of ads which it has done and looks fantastic on my graphs and figures but as for my business it has not worked at all. I am receiving hardly any calls and traffic to my site has dropped.

I only use a text based ad and did not get an traffic from the display network anyway but kept my campaign on the display network as to get my ads to more people.

I was told to give the new updatye some time for I gave it 10 days and it consistantly delivered low traffic to my site. I also spoke to my local adwords team in Asia and although they were very helpful what they told me have NOT increased my traffic.

Under there advice I have split the campaigns to "Search Network only" and "Dispaly Network only" this have not improved the traffic in fact the amount of clicks and imporessions are the same because as I mentioned before my clicks come from the search network.

My question to you guys is how do I get my campaign back to where it was before the update?

I have only been on the "search network only" for a day and just had to disappointing results this morning, is this now going to improve over time?

Also is there anyway I can opt out of this update as it is hurting my business and I am now looking at facebook and other networks to get my ads out there.

Here is a link to my traffic graph:

http://s4.postimg.org/pn41tmtst/Google_Adwords_Campaign_After_Update.jpg

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Impressions and clicks have dropped after display select update

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

Firstly, you should understand that Search Network with Display Select shows your ads selectively on the Display Network. That means your ads are shown to a smaller number of potential customers who are most likely to be interested in the products and services you're advertising.

Your best bet would be creating separate campaigns for the search and the display network, that will give you full control over your targeting, budget, and bidding, BUT you should have good knowledge of how to run those campaigns to use them effectively.

Splitting campaigns should get things back to normal (and better) as long as you'r doing everything right.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, as for understanding what search and display does I am fully aware how this works. As I said previously hardly any of my clicks if any came from the display network. I simply had this set up for the odd click I would get. I only run a basic text ad which worked fine.

I was told by an advisor on the phone that before the ads would show 50/50 on the search and display network and now the ads show 70/30 on the network.

I now have my campaign with search network and search partners only as the display network is irrelevant for my ad and historically did not bring in any traffic.

As you can see from the link provided that it shows the clicks I am getting have dramatically decreased.

Now this would be great if I saw my bill reduce and the “quality” of my customers goes up but this is not the case. Instead my phone has gone dead and my business has halved since I changed to the new update.

For me more clicks equal more phone calls. It is then down to my sales staff to close the deal.
In terms of having “good” knowledge about running campaigns I have been using adwords on and off for 5 years and I also have 6 years’ experience in search engine marketing.
I spent half an hour on the phone trying to see if there was something wrong with my campaign with the service staff.

The following has been set up:

- Good keyword research.
- I made sure the quality score in relation to the ad and landing page was high.
- I have tested and found the right click bid to achieve quality results from ads.
- I market in a foreign language and have the “languages” set for both the native one and also English just in case their browser is still set to English.
- My phone number extension has been set.
- Search network set to “all features”
- Location extensions have also been set up and linked to google places.
- In location options I have “Target: People in, searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location” This is because I want people who are searching in the native language but are not specifically in the country to also see my ads.
- I have also checked where I am getting the most clicks from in terms of countries and regions in these countries and I am happy with that.
- In terms of my clicks I am using both manual set up and adwords maximizing to set up my bids.
- I have experimented with the heading of the ad and have come up with the best title that drives the most clicks through my ad.

Things that I may look at are:

- Maximizing the ad at high search times.
- Run a display ad with a well-designed picture/graphic ad group.

BUT my big problem is that this group of ads has been running perfectly for about 2 years with no problems just a little fine tuning here and there and I can admit maybe a little more attention needed to make them more efficient.

THEN it gets updated by Google and I lose MOST of my traffic.

So you can see what I have done do you have any OTHER recommendations on how to increase the clicks or is this basically it now?

Thank you.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi there;

As for the display network;

As  Ahmed mentioned, the key here is a good knowledge of the display network;

At first, you say  that  "I now have my campaign with search network and search partners only as the display network is irrelevant for my ad and historically did not bring in any traffic. But, later, you added, about GDN:  (that you might)  "run a display ad with a well-designed picture/graphic ad group."

Please clarify your goals about GDN;

As for the search network 

If you say that all technical settings are optimized I would look again at the ad-copy, check (using  the auction insight) whether new competitors are into the "game" in  September (seasonal advertisers take a seasonal break in July -Aug) and if all is, indeed, optimized - you know - the is no other option, but to raise the bid.  Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply,

"As for the display network;

As  Ahmed mentioned, the key here is a good knowledge of the display network;

At first, you say  that  "I now have my campaign with search network and search partners only as the display network is irrelevant for my ad and historically did not bring in any traffic. But, later, you added, about GDN:  (that you might)  "run a display ad with a well-designed picture/graphic ad group."

Please clarify your goals about GDN;"

The reason I mentioned I might try the display network later on is because AT the moment I have not optimised or focused on the display network.  As I said in a previous post the display network was simply there as a default and I took the odd clicks I would get from it as a bonus.

I'm aware that scraping relevant sites and forums then adding them into the display network is part of the job and again looking to optimising it fully is another thing on my list.

BUT my main "goals" are the search networks and CLICKS.

"whether new competitors are into the "game" in  September (seasonal advertisers take a seasonal break in July -Aug) "

There are no new competitors in the "game" and although there are high and low seasons advertisers are not seasonal as there is constant business all year round.

"you know - the is no other option, but to raise the bid.  :smileysurprised:"

Bid has already been raised and also the daily allowance Smiley Indifferent

Although I raised the bids they actually struggled to make the higher daily allowance AND I still got half as much clicks as I did before the update.

What I have done today is set the delivery method to accelerated that has made the phones ring. Will have a look at the graph with tomorrows update.

So far all I can see is this update has reduced the amount of times my ad has been displayed, lowered the traffic to my site, and cost me more money. Out of all the Google updates both algo and ad networks etc this one is surely the best!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I have not heard about a case that breaking the into separate campaigns (in your case you are currently left only with a  search campaign, and opt out from a display) caused that drastic decline in impressions. So, I would look for the cause somewhere else...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The drastic decline in impressions came as soon as I updated my campaigns. I have separated them to try and claw back the traffic I was getting.

Anyway tomorrows updated figures will show if there has been any change. I was more wondering as to why the impressions and clicks have dropped so much.

It seems that many marketers are raving about the better CTR and quality clicks. Yes my CTR is better but in return for that I am getting 50% less traffic to my site. If these are so targeted can the search engine differentiate from people who are purely searching for information or those who are looking for a service? (don't need an answer on keyword research)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have a similar problem here. After upgrading, overall CPC increased about 10x and impressions on the display network lowered about 100x. Not working at all.