Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Impressions But No Clicks

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, 

I have been looking through the forums but I haven't found any questions exactly like mine. I have a few ad groups that are receiving impressions, but no clicks, or very few clicks. These are the lowest performing ad groups in the campaign:

Ad Group #1: Avg Pos 1.0, Clicks/Impressions 1/109, CTR 0.92%

Ad Group #2: Avg Pos 1.3, Clicks/Impressions 1/153, CTR 0.65%

Ad Group #3: Avg Pos 1.4, Clicks/Impressions 2/353, CTR 0.57%

Ad Group #4: Avg Pos 1.3, Clicks/Impressions 1/679, CTR 0.15%

Ad Group #5: Avg Pos 1.1, Clicks/Impressions 0/214, CTR 0.00%

Ad Group #6: Avg Pos 1.3, Clicks/Impressions 0/152, CTR 0.00%

Ad Group #7: Avg Pos 1.5, Clicks/Impressions 0/132, CTR 0.00%

Ad Group #7 Ad Copy:

Collet Chuck For CNC Lathe

Get Your Engineered Quote Now

www.website.com/colletchuck

Collet Chucks Made To Fit Big Machine Brands: Doosan Mazak Okuma & other Mfg's.

Keywords: cnc collet, +cnc +collet +chuck, "collet chuck for cnc lathe"

I have been working on these ad groups pretty diligently - trying new keywords and new ad copy. I started off not seeing any impressions at all. So I am glad that I am seeing some improvement. But I would really like your thoughts on where I can improve. 

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello Sherron,

This is not significant amount of data to make any assumptions. What period of time are we talking about?

Tomáš

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Sherron

When you view the keyword level, are most of the impressions coming from broad match? If so, that could be your issue.   I personally would not use broad match for any keywords containing an acronym. Have you viewed the search term report to see what is actually triggering your ads? You might find that the broad match is too broad, and triggering your ad for queries unrelated to your product.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Tomáš Kraus These ad groups are about a month old.

@David Kyle Yes, most of the impressions are from broad match keywords. I have looked at the search term report and most people use long phrases in their search. Every search entry is related to what we sell. I have added negative keywords for those that didn't match. Most people enter a long phrase when they do a search. We see entries like "mini metal 4 jaw lathe chuck cnc milling drilling tool 1.8 56mm 12 65mm business & industrial manufacturing & metalworking". I feel like I would exclude a significant amount of people with exact match. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think you're wasting the 2nd line "Get Your Engineered Quote Now" as that is an obvious action and may not sound like a benefit. Better put a benefit there or a USP. For example, you can put "Made To Fit Big Machine Brands" or something like that in its place to show how you are different. Just an idea. Hope it makes sense.

If you read the description below loudly, it sounds a little out of rhythm. Why not put something like "Made Specially to Fit Big Machine Brands..." Perhaps, you are repeating the keyword to increase QS. But you should look for better CTR that comes with attractive text only.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Sherron

Yes, I didn't mean to only use exact match. I just thought regular broad match might be too broad here. Broad match modified and phrase match should certainly be used.  So if the majority of your actual search queries are valid, can you confirm they are generating all the impressions?  Are there any of these long tail searches that have really low CTR like your overall ad group? When you look at your search term report, are there any significant amount of impressions at the bottom associated with "other search terms?"  If so, that could be coming from the regular broad match.  You might just want to keep it BMM and phrase for a period to see if that helps. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@David Kyle Ok, that makes more sense. Exact and broad match have the most impressions overall. But the long tail keywords have the highest CTR at 100% or 200%. There are 300,000 impressions for other search terms as well. 

I will try add more BMM and phrase match. Could it be that my copy needs work as well?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Sherron

300,000 impressions for other search terms? Which ad group and keyword(s) are those coming from? For the 7 ad groups you gave stats on , that's roughly 1800 impressions.   Is this a search campaign or a search with display select?

In your original post you stated you had the regular broad match cnc collet.  My suggestion was to turn that off, and leave your BMM, phrase, and exact on. 

It doesn't hurt to test copy, but I think you are fine there. I prefer call to actions over stated benefits.  I think it's a better qualifier for who clicks. You're communicating what action is expected from the user if they decide to click through.  

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@David KyleThis is a search campaign. I have 15 ad groups total.

The 7 ad groups I listed are giving me the most trouble. 3 of my other ad groups have about 80,000 impressions between them, as they have been running longer - those keywords are doing great 7/10 or 8/10 QS. 

I have about 3 to 4 ads running for each ad group. They are pretty similar to the example I gave above.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Sherron

Okay. Then let's stay focused on these 7 only. View the search term reports for these 7 individually for however long they've been running, and look at the very bottom for the line "Other search terms."  If a significant percentage of your impressions are attributed there, then your issue is most likely your use of regular broad match.