Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Impression share in relation to ad schedule

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello guys!

Let's say I have a small budget on a certain market and I want to make use of it the best I can by only allowing ads to run at certain hours of the day. Let's say I wan't to run ads from 9 p.m. to 10 p.m. and I am willing to spend a lot in that hour. If, for the sake of the discussion, we assume my Lost IS for budget and rank reasons are zero, will my impression share in the auction insights be very high upon looking? In other words is it possible to get a 90+% IS on just one hour a day?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Impression share in relation to ad schedule

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Marko J;

Impression share (IS) is the number of impressions you've received divided by the estimated number of impressions you were eligible to receive while the campaign was active.

Also note, that the number of impressions you were eligible to receive could be quite broad  due to the formula used. Hence, I prefer the  search  exact impression share as a better indicator for a KW performance.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497703?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hm, sure, it makes sense for this "experiment" it is better to choose search exact IS. Arguably, what I've asked might have been a rhetorical question because I suppose the answer is - yes, it's possible, but still I wanted your view on thing.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Marko,

What data do you have to use right now regarding your IS at certain times of day? Do you have anything solid to go on? If so - just test, test, test! Smiley Happy

Keep the changes in your bids in small increments, and then compare your data over the same time of day (i'd create these tests in separate ad groups and set up a campaign especially for these tests also).

Also keep in mind performance based on time of day also varies by day of the week/ week/holiday etc. Unless you know your market extremely well or you have a lot of data to go on, this sounds like a risky tactic and you could potentially lose a lot of money.

You can, potentially do anything if you are willing to pay for it.... and yes of course its possible you could get 90% of IS ...but paying more during a time period that seems to perform better will not necessarily get you the results you want on a consistent basis.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your involvement Abbie, you've cautioned me well with this. My point was pretty much "academic" in nature I suppose... I probably will never try this as a tactic, was just curious what you guys thought of it and how the AW system would behave in the Auction Insights.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marko J
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

yes -- but the 90% will likely be of a very small segmented whole.

there exists an advertising-landscape, segment, on which
the impression-share is measured -- eligible to receive --

as the denominator.

any adjustment -- such as time or geography -- to a specific campaign,
that changes the size of the advertising-landscape, can either increase
or decrease the size of the measured, segmented, whole.

generally, the larger the segment, the more likely a decrease
in impression-share and the larger the budget required to cover
the costs of that larger advertising-landscape to maintain or
improve impression-share.

conversely, as in the theoretical example, the smaller the segment,
the more likely an increase in impression-share and the smaller the
budget required to cover the costs of that smaller ad-landscape to
maintain or improve impression-share.

for example, 90% of an ad-landscape covering multiple countries,
all-days and all-hours -- verses 90% of an ad-landscape covering

one town, in a specific country, one-hour a day, one-day per week.

exact-impression-share is generally a better indicator of performance since the
numerator contains the most relevant, exact-match, impressions -- as opposed
to all impressions received, that may include irrelevant or less relevant searches.