AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Impression share for all 'in-market audiences' drops when I turn off largest 'in-market audience'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello:

I have a small but important display ads campaign where I advertise to about 3 different 'in-market audiences.'  One of these 3 'in-market' audiences is a lot larger than the others.  It's also my least favorite as a target market of the 3 that I am targeting, and sometimes I turn it off because I'm not crazy about the traffic generated.  Whenever I turn this large in-market audience off, I get way less clicks and impressions in the other 2 or so in-market audiences.  So turning the one off is effecting the other categories.  Why?  Am I falling short of some kind of minimum and if so what is that minimum called?  It's not CPC or daily budget that is limiting, it must be some other limiting factor that I cannot identify.  

So, just to repeat the same question with a fictionalized example:

in market audience A:  interested in cars, daily impressions available 10,000, max CPC $6, adjusted down 66%, effective max CPC $2.00

in market audience B:  interested in leaves, daily impressions available 1,000 max CPC $6

in market audience C:  interested in sand, daily impressions available  1,000 max CPC $6

Daily budget $125.

Day 1-10 -- A, B, C enabled.  

50 average daily clicks from A at average CPC $1.50, net cost in category A $75

10 average daily clicks from category B at average CPC $2.75, $27.50,

10 average daily clicks from category C at average CPC $2.90, $29.00

Total average daily charge:  $131.50 for 70 clicks

Day 11-20 -- B,C  enabled, A paused

2 clicks from category B at average CPC $2.76,

2 clicks from category C at average CPC $2.89, 

Total average daily charge:  $5.17 for 4 clicks

Why only 2 clicks days 11-20?  Why will google not sell the same number of clicks from categories B & C as it did during days 1-10? In fact, why will google not sell me more clicks instead of less clicks during days 11-20 from these categories in order to approach my max CPC and daily budget?  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Impression share for all 'in-market audiences' drops when I turn off largest 'in-market audience'

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian C,

You haven't provided enough data to give you an answer. I'd also need to know impression counts for each category in each time period. 

Google doesn't sell "clicks", they sell impressions, even if you are bidding CPA. The first question is did categories B and C get a similar number of impressions during each time period. The next question would be comparable CTR for the 2 time periods (I cold derive this from impressions and clicks). Then I would ask if there are seasonal conditions to consider. Did you change ad copy in the meantime? Add extensions? Disable any extensions? Change targeting? Add/remove keywords?

Let's say the number of daily impressions is 1000 for both categories B & C. The difference between 10 clicks and 2 is statistically significant, but the fewer clicks could hardly be attributed to no impressions for category A.

Do you have these all in one campaign? If so, I'd recommend splitting into 3 campaigns so you will have control over the budget for each category. "Cars", "leaves", and "sand" aren't very related to each other.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No, B & C got fewer impressions, that is the reason why they got less clicks.  So, in the fictional example days 11-20 the average daily impressions available would be 1000, same as days 1-10.   But my impression share is going down, such that I only get 2 clicks.  The CTR is the same.