Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Impression share, avg. position and CPC relationship

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I’m having a moment where I’m trying to determine the most appropriate approach to optimise my account cost effectively without unnecessarily inflating my CPCs based on avg. position and impression share. I’m hoping someone might be able to help and in turn stop me from going mad with frustration.

I’ll give you an example.

I have a keyword with 10/10 QS, a position of 3.0 but my impression share is <80%. I would like to improve my impression share to 100% if possible, which historically I have done by increasing my CPC. However, faced with increased costs and inefficiencies, this method often means that I increase my avg. position, which I don’t want to do – I’d like to keep my position but improve my impression share.

Now I’ve read loads about how ad rank affects IS, and QS x Max. CPC affects ad rank etc… but I just wanted to know definitively if I can optimise my account to an avg. pos (albeit perhaps a range I’m comfortable with) whilst maximising my impression share? If I have a QS of 10/10 I know I can’t go any higher on this, so what are my options?

I’m also concerned that automated bidding rules within the Adwords system, and via third parties, are helping to inflate costs as everyone is optimising to similar metrics, and every time someone jumps over the other, they force another bid rise as the system kicks in to counteract the other’s move. Do I just have to accept this reality, and explain it this way to my clients (tough love)?

Feedback is appreciated, thanks!

Kherrin

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Impression share, avg. position and CPC relationship

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi,

As you have mentioned easiest way to improve the impression share is increasing your campaign budget. But in a search network you can improve your impression share if you can narrow down your targeting area also. But if you already optimized your targeting area this may not be a option.

However in the display network having good manage placements can help you to improve your impression share as well.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for reply Nisal. Sorry I didn't make it clear in my earlier point but I am not capped by budget, and this is solely for Google search not GDN. I am also referring to exact match keywords and the impression share specific to these terms, so narrowing down further isn't an option.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I understand from your question that the issue is with a specific keyword which is (probably) very important.

Is this a broad mach KW? - If so, the impression share  (rank) is usually low, since the system estimates a huge number of auctions, in which the ad could  be triggered.

If this is an "exact match", then I would say, that this one of those competitive KWs which only a higher bid is the solution.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply MosheTLV. Yes it's an exact match keyword (I understand why it would be hard to expect high IS from broad matches). I'll await to see if anyone else has an alternative thought but I'm starting to accept this theory that I just have to pay more.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Kerrin

Just two idea from my side,
#1 Try changing your ad delivery option to accelerated.
#2 Another suggestion is, you can try increasing your bids and create automated rules for each for hour to decrease the mac cpc bids by certain % if avg. position will be better than 3.0. This may help you get more impressions with control over avg. position.

My inputs!

Abhishek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Abhishek. I'll trial the the accelerated bidding option first, I very rarely use this delivery method so I'm intrigued to see if it makes a difference.

#2 I'll spend some time mulling this one over - thanks for the suggestion.