Guide Me
star_border

Impression Stats 90%+ yet ads don't appear when I search

lou
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
lou
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi -- I am a new account (commenced my campaign on Monday).  I have a promient keyword that is all of a sudden not appearing.  So my response was to dramatically increase my bid.  I also increased my daily budget to be 4-times what I have ever spent in a day and I set the delivery to "accelerated".  My quality score has not changed on this particular keyword since I began the campaign (has consistently been sitting @ 4).

Interestingly, my number of impressions has remained low.  This is in spite of the fact that my "apparent" average positioning on this keyword has escalated from 2.4 to 1.2.  My "apparent" impression share is showing above 98%.  BUT when I go in and test the keyword on my own it only comes up about half the time; and when it does come up it's often the 5th or 7th add on the page.

Any theories on what might be causing this problem?  Any fixes?  Much appreciated!!!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Impression Stats 90%+ yet ads don't appear when I search

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Lou,

First, you are using the Ad Preview and Diagnostic tool, right? If you do a live search on Google, your personal settings will interfere with the ads you see. If you do a live search and don't click on your ad, Google will think you're not interested in the ad, or in Googlespeak, your ad relevance will be low, so you won't see the ad the next search. The more times you live search for your keywords and don't click on your ads, the less likely it is you will see those ads.

The problem here is your QS and CPC combination (ad rank) is causing your ad to show lower on the page, in side or bottom positions, and the CTR in those positions is dramatically lower than ads showing in the top position.

Go to the keywords tab for your campaign and add "Ad Position" for segmenting. This will show you how many times your ad has been shown in top, side and bottom placements. The difference in response will be immediately apparant.

Now I have questions for you. What is the match type for your prominent keyword? Have you entered that keyword as phrase and exact match also? Are you using many broad match terms (without the modifier)? Have you checked your search terms report? Have you added non-performing keywords as negative match types?

What to do? Get rid of as many broad match terms as you can. Convert them to BMM by adding a + sign at the beginning of each word (includeing the first word) in your keywords list. Add phrase, exact and negative as is appropriate based on performance.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Impression Stats 90%+ yet ads don't appear when I search

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Lou,

You have received excellent reply from Pete!! 

I am a new account (commenced my campaign on Monday). My quality score has not changed on this particular keyword since I began the campaign (has consistently been sitting @ 4).

New account QS is based on many factors & one of the reason is that initial QS is being calculated based on how other competetiors have used keywords in past. I recommend you to read very famous thread from community on Quality Score by Googler Tanmay Arora.

Following advice by Pete will help you in improving QS.

Hope it helps!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’