Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Impression Share

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi 

For one of our recent campaigns we've had a dip in impressions as the campaign has gone on. 

I have heard that you should have 15-20 keywords per ad group, but what I have been wondering is:

Whether it would be have been more effective to have just 3/4 keywords if they are performing well for Click through rate, but the others are not? 

Thanks for your help

David

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Impression Share

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi David,

Depending on how it affects your overall objectives, separating poorly performing KWs into their own AG might be a Best Practice. That way e.g. they can be under closer monitoring. Of course, they will lose their stats by doing so, however, since they have been poor, you won't lose much.

Yup, 15-20 KWs are considered by most sort of ideal for starting a new AG.

Best,
Lakatos

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Also, the number of keywords will be greatly effected by the keyword match type.
Adgroup with Modified broad match type not need to have 15-20 keywords, as per me 7-8 will be enough to cover all the combinations for a particular theme.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi David,

Yes, you should use 3 to 4 keywords according to relevancy and this will help you to optimize our keywords in better way and improve the keywords performance.

Please read about ad grouping from below URL - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375452

Thanks,

Anand

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@David J

Read this by one of our Top Contributors @Jon_Gritton

Keywords and the Pareto Principle

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’