Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Impression Share

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

If search impression share is under 100%, does it mean another company is bidding on our brand Keywords?

There is no information about any competition in the Adwords interface but the IS has gone down from 100% to 98% and it seems to be affecting the amount of conversions coming in. Is there anyway to get more detailed information than what I can see in the auction insight?  

/Emelie

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Impression Share

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Emelie J,

In short, IS is not a reflection of competition. Your IS is simply the ratio of searches that you could have shown for and the searches that you did show for.

So it is likely to be a budget issue. I suggest adding a few more columns, there is IS lost due to rank and IS lost due to budget.

The only way a competitor has an effect on your IS is indirectly, and having one competitor suddenly start to bid on your brand terms should (and in most cases will) not change your IS.

There is no way to get more detailed information regarding this on the AdWords platform though.

I suggest using the 2 columns mentioned above to see what they say, although I doubt they will tell you much in this particular case as you have only gone from 100% to 98%, this may not be enough data to tell you why (unless this is over thousands and thousands of impressions).

A 2% drop in IS is nothing to worry about at all. Give it a bit more time and identify a trend before you should start worrying, as said earlier it may simply be that your budget ran out one day and this means that there were a few searches for your brand term that you were not able to show for.

hope this helps

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello,

A small addition to what has been said above, you could look at the Auction Insights Report (since you talked about what other companies are doing)and see where other advertisers are standing during the same ad auctions. What you can do is that you can go to Keywords Tab , click on Details >> Under Auction Insights either click on all or selected. That would give you an estimate of where you are in front of others and there are some important metrics which can be benchmarked and might help you with more optimization process.

More details around this report are here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2579754?hl=en

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Emelie J,

In short, IS is not a reflection of competition. Your IS is simply the ratio of searches that you could have shown for and the searches that you did show for.

So it is likely to be a budget issue. I suggest adding a few more columns, there is IS lost due to rank and IS lost due to budget.

The only way a competitor has an effect on your IS is indirectly, and having one competitor suddenly start to bid on your brand terms should (and in most cases will) not change your IS.

There is no way to get more detailed information regarding this on the AdWords platform though.

I suggest using the 2 columns mentioned above to see what they say, although I doubt they will tell you much in this particular case as you have only gone from 100% to 98%, this may not be enough data to tell you why (unless this is over thousands and thousands of impressions).

A 2% drop in IS is nothing to worry about at all. Give it a bit more time and identify a trend before you should start worrying, as said earlier it may simply be that your budget ran out one day and this means that there were a few searches for your brand term that you were not able to show for.

hope this helps

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
OK thank you!
/Emelie

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Glad I could be of help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Also it has to do with current QS of your keywords that can be a subject to either insufficient statistics (not enough impressions) or landing page/ctr/ad quality & experience. In case of insufficient impressions you should wait some time, in case of landing page/ctr/ad quality & experience you can try to improve it.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello,

A small addition to what has been said above, you could look at the Auction Insights Report (since you talked about what other companies are doing)and see where other advertisers are standing during the same ad auctions. What you can do is that you can go to Keywords Tab , click on Details >> Under Auction Insights either click on all or selected. That would give you an estimate of where you are in front of others and there are some important metrics which can be benchmarked and might help you with more optimization process.

More details around this report are here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2579754?hl=en

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Loss of IS simply means two things ; either overall impressions across all advertisers in your target market have increased or you don't have adequate budget or rank to be eligible for maximum share of voice. As a few of the community members correctly mentioned, loss of IS has nothing to do with your competitors bidding on your trademark terms. If info in IS loss due to rank and budget columns don't reveal anything satisfactory, the issue is then an inflation of all impressions in your target market and you might want to take these measures

> Look at the search queries within the campaign in question and add terms that match theme of your campaign.
> Add negatives from search queries

This way you would be able to reshape what you would like to target. Since you already have and IS of 98% , you should not come across too many keywords and negatives to be added.