AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Impossible to negate FREE from a +10words search term triggered by an Exact Match keyword?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

this is something ridiculous... I don't know if any of you have experienced this limit already

We have a 10words exact match keyword: [how do i find out if i am good at]

which is triggering search terms such as "how do i find out if i am good at playing football for free"

even if "free" is a campaign + adgroup negative

that SQR including "free" generates high costs but no conversions and according to support there's no technical way to negate it?

anybody with similar experience which has a workaround?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Impossible to negate FREE from a +10words search term triggered by an Exact Match keyword?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

What date range are you looking at - Before or after you added the negative terms?

Tom

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

hi tomhalejr,it is a campaign negative since launch. no matter the date range those search terms are always there. 

Google fights click fraud and then such things happen 😥

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Hmm... That is strange. Can you share a screen shot?

Tom

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

As @tomhalejr alrady mentioned, it's really strange. I think you should talk to customer care.

Thanks

Neha 

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Try adding "good at playing football for free" as negative. If the term that is added is after 10 words, query will trigger ad. Please see this thread, discussing similar issue

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/Negative-Keywords-Not-Working/m-p...

How is your exact match keyword trigger for such query? Exact match usually triggers for exactly matched term with close variants, reodering and add/remove of functional words when the meaning of the keyword is not changed.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

thanks all for your replies. Neha, that links show exactly what I'm experiencing here. I'll try your solution and see how it goes, keep you posted 

Capture.PNG

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

@Neha Gupta is the TC, and the real professional here. Smiley Happy

But... If I had to bet dollars to Pesos, I would bet that you didn't actually get charged anything for those two clicks captain. Smiley Happy 

I'm also absolutely certain, that I may be entirely wrong! Smiley Happy 

Tom

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

that's just last week data, looking back 30 days or so we spent more than $500 with no conversions Smiley Sad Not sure how can I check if we got charged for that or not. Invalid clicks? 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi guys! so after couple of days of testing with Neha solution, unfortunately it didn't work Smiley Sad