Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Import/Export - Google Shopping NOW WORTHLESS

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I work in Import/Export, it is important for me to be able to restrain my searches to the Country I SELECT.

If I search the UK-Shopping it is specifically because I am looking for UK products in the UK.

If I search Germany-Shopping it is because I am specifically looking for German products in Germany.

The fact that Google defaults to the USA (my location), and stubbornly remains there has make Google-Shopping absolutely worthless.

Why on earth would I go through the trouble of searching Google-DE Shopping, only to have all the results returned come from the USA. That makes no sense. WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS????

Google, you are not helping ME, nor are you helping yourself, because now Google Shopping has become pointless. I have to find alternative means to accomplish what I once accomplished easily on Google.

How does that help you, how does me NOT using Google help you???? What twisted path of logic made you force this geo-locating on people?

Stop this nonsense, you are only hurting yourself.

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @blueboyblue,

I can certainly sense your frustration with this and thought I would offer a possible workaround.

Have you tried a URL search parameter for local?

There is a URL parameter you can append to your Google search to return results near a certain location — just add &near=cityname to your query string, where cityname is your desired locality.

Give it a try by pasting this into Google search: Food&near=tokyo 

This should allow you to search for anything, anywhere without too much trouble. I hope this info helps. 

Kind Regards,

James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

And by the way, not only did your suggestion not help, but it simply didn't work on any level.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No your suggestion did not help. The problems is the forced Geo-Locating in Google-Shopping searches.

Use common sense, why would I search Google-DE-Shopping only to get USA results? That's stupid. Sorry, but it is STUPID. I'm searching Google-DE because I want results from GOOGLE-DE-Shopping.

How can you not see the idiocy of this? You are not helping yourself or your advertisers. Join the 21st Century. I am stunned that an alleged hi-tech company like Google does not see that we live in a Global world with Global communication. I may not be in the UK, but that does not mean I can not influence buying decisions in the UK. At least I could until you took away my ability to do market/product research in the UK.

How can Google's view of the world be so foolishly narrow and short sighted?

This policy is hurting you and it is hurting your advertisers. And if you can see that, then get ready for Google Search to take a very big fall from grace.

The reason I and many many people stopped using Yahoo and switched to Google is because Google returned honest results. It gave me the information I needed. But Google no longer does that. I can't use Google if Google willfully and maliciously refuses to give me what I searched for. Once again, explain to me how NOT giving me what I searched for is helping me or you?

Stop this nonsense!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I will consider this question resolved when I get an answer from Google as to why they took a highly effective Search Tool and made it less effective. A company that wants to grow and expand generally makes it tools MORE effective, not less.

I used the Google-UK-Shopping (and other countries) tool dozens of times a day, and those searches brought Click-Throughs, and eventually lead to sales. But now that ability to search is lost.

So, explain to my why you would do this? The smallest fragment of logic should tell you that I would not go to Google-UK-Shopping if that is not specifically what I wanted. You have rendered a tool that I used all day long, now useless for me. What possible logic can justify that?

What possible logic can justify the making of a very useful tool, less useful, in fact, for me, not the least bit useful.

This shows such a narrow world view that I am stunned that it is coming from an alleged Hi-Tech Company like Google. The reason Google worked in the past, and the reason Google rose to the top of the search engines is because it returned RELEVANT information from a search. Yet, that no longer happens. Every time I do a Google-Shopping search, I get a list of the least relevant products imaginable. It is like me searching for Stereo Amps and getting Ads for Diapers.

This is not just me. When people are developing APPS and Building Website to circumvent this idiocy, that should tell you how idiotic this choice was. You have taken away a valuable search tool from thousands if not millions of people who depended on it daily to help them find products in other countries.

So, explain to my why you would take a highly effective search tool and make it less effective? Explain the logic behind that?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

babyblue, i am sorry to hear you are feeling frustration with Google Shopping search. Google is a large Company and there are many reasons why they frequently change the way things work. or you could just be experiencing a tech glitch.

We are happy to assist, and empathize on this forum. But you should be aware that this is not the right place to register complaints with Google. People like James are volunteers, contributing their time and efforts to help  AdWords users with technical issues.  

Google "AdWords suggestions" and you'll find a link to a form where Google accepts suggestions and criticism.

hth!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I do appreciate James efforts to help. I too volunteer in several discussion groups. But nice as his effort were, they were unhelpful.

I and many thousands of people depended on Google search to find products in foreign countries. Previously when I searched, Google returned relevant results, but no more ... and I would like to understand the logic behind that. Do you really think I am so stupid that I don't know what I am searching for? If I search Google-UK or Google-DE it is specifically because I want and need results from that location. Again, this failure shows the narrowest world view on Google's part.

I'm not asking for much. I am asking for the results returned from a search to be relevant to the search I make. Right now, the results I get are 100% irrelevant. It is like searching for "stereo amplifier" and getting results for "diapers". I don't think it is too much to ask for search results that are relevant to the search I made.

Trust me, when I search Google-UK-Shopping, I know what I am doing, and I know what results I want. Don't second guess me.

Why am I complaining here? Because this the only means I've found to remotely register this complaint with Google. Google is not the most open to direct contact from consumers.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just to show you I'm not the only one, here is someone from Sweden who is trying to buy products in the UK and Germany whose searches are being completely blocked by Google. It is pretty easy to sense his frustration.

- - - - - - -

Placebo PRS said:

Agree completely with you, it's useless now, I want to be able to search for German stores or UK stores, not Swedish stores, stop using my bloody IP to decide what I want to search, I AM THE ONE WHO KNOWS WHAT I WANT TO SEARCH!!!!!!!!
- - - - - - - - - -

You can probably fit all of the EU and Scandinavia into the USA, so in effect what you have done is prevented someone in Minnesota from searching for products in Iowa or Wisconsin.

This shows the most stunningly narrow world view on Google part. How can an large International Hi-Tech company not see what utter folly this is? It is absolutely breath-taking that Google could make such a poor decision. A bad decision for people around the world who are trying to search. A bad decision for its USA Advertisers, as their ad impressions are wasted. And a bad decision for their foreign advertisers because they are not going to get the click-through and sales that they deserve.

This is such a narrow world view that it is absolutely cringe-worthy. This is a failure on every front.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just so we are clear, and to show what a wide spread problem this is. There are people making Browser Add-Ons to circumvent this problem. Someone went to the trouble of creating a website that will allow people to bypass this insane forced geo-locating on Google.

They only solution is to use a free Proxy Server, but why should I have to go to such lengths to do something so simply and obvious?

This is not a small problem. You have taken away a valuable search tool. If I had not been able to search foreign countries, my Import/Export business would have been pretty much dead in the water. I think what Google should do is trust that people know what they are doing. Most certainly if I am in the USA, and I search Google-USA, return USA results. BUT, when I specifically search a foreign country, please assume I have a reason for doing that, please assume that I know what I am doing, and give me relevant results.

I don't think it is too much to ask for a Search Engine to return RELEVANT RESULTS!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google "AdWords suggestions" and you'll find a link to a form where Google accepts suggestions and criticism.

Can you give me a direct link, because I couldn't find what you suggested anywhere.