Guide Me
star_border

Implementing and Improving AdWords Automated Bidding

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Screen Shot 2014-11-17 at 15.45.07.png

Automating your bids with AdWords can deliver better, more informed bids while saving you time.  This best practices guide is for anyone looking to implement or improve their automated bidding. It covers key topics like choosing an automated strategy for your account and making a successful automated campaign perform even better.

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Implementing and Improving AdWords Automated Bidding

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
How do you set your campaign bids? Share your best practices as a comment below!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I use scripts for this for more control. If you really want to get fancy you can even use external data to make changes like weather, tempature or stock market or anything really.

I have one script that looks at the keyword level and tries to keep my bids between 1.2 and 1.4. It will also reduce my bid if my average position is between 1.0 and 1.1.

I can put exceptions in for keywords I want higher and even create a different script for those. I know you can do this without a script but I just like scripts.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
I generally like to use manual bids with modifiers for geography, device and location. I like to test different bid strategies - sometimes CPA bidding works well for specific ad groups. I love flexible bid strategies for that. Automated rules and scripts can come in handy for certain occasions or to account for specific variables. TX-ppcguy listed some great examples!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

In case anybody is curious here is the script I use.

// what position are you trying to achieve?
var TARGET_AVERAGE_POSITION = 1.2;

/**** UPDATE !!! ****/
// Once the keywords fall within TOLERANCE of TARGET_AVERAGE_POSITION,
// their bids will no longer be adjusted.
var TOLERANCE = 0.1;

// How much to adjust the bids?
/**** UPDATE !!! ****/
var BID_ADJUSTMENT_COEFFICIENT = 1.1;

//You can comment out one of these if you just want to do one of them one day
//You can also copy one of them to run it twice. I might do this if I want to
//raise bids twice but only lower them once.
//If you make any changes in one function don't forget the other might need change too.
function main() {
raiseKeywordBids();
lowerKeywordBids();
}

function raiseKeywordBids() {
// adjust this condition!
var keywordsToRaise = AdWordsApp.keywords()
.withCondition("Impressions > 0")
//This is not necessary I use it because I have a lot of campaigns .
//It allows me to replace keyword with a word that I don't want to
//modify. You can change this to include a campaign instead of exclude
//CampaignName
.withCondition("CampaignName DOES_NOT_CONTAIN_IGNORE_CASE 'keyword'")
.withCondition("Status = ENABLED")
.withCondition("AveragePosition > " + (TARGET_AVERAGE_POSITION + TOLERANCE))
.orderBy("AveragePosition ASC")
//I change this depending on what time period. I can also set it to a specific date
//That is handy when I want to run it on a Monday for Friday. You can also enter
//LAST7DAYS OR LASTMONTH or whatever.
.forDateRange("YESTERDAY")
.get();

while (keywordsToRaise.hasNext()) {
var keyword = keywordsToRaise.next();
keyword.setMaxCpc(keyword.getMaxCpc() * BID_ADJUSTMENT_COEFFICIENT);
}
}

function lowerKeywordBids() {
// adjust this condition!
var keywordsToLower = AdWordsApp.keywords()
.withCondition("AveragePosition < " + (TARGET_AVERAGE_POSITION - TOLERANCE))
.withCondition("CampaignName DOES_NOT_CONTAIN_IGNORE_CASE 'keyword'")
.withCondition("Status = ENABLED")
.orderBy("AveragePosition DESC")
.forDateRange("YESTERDAY")
.get();

while (keywordsToLower.hasNext()) {
var keyword = keywordsToLower.next();
keyword.setMaxCpc(keyword.getMaxCpc() / BID_ADJUSTMENT_COEFFICIENT);
}
}

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Like Amy, I too mostly use manual bids with modifiers at geo or device level for my campaigns. I have tested flexible bid strategies with some success which was short lived, some tips on this would be great!

I have tested CPA bidding mechanism which again worked wonders for me for about a year or so but suddenly suffered from drop in performance and never recovered after that. I have also tried my hands at Scripts to maintain positions for keywords and have seen success with it, I am currently working on implementing more scripts across my account. Some pointers or good practices on this would also be great!

Thanks!

Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
how to use that script? and where to place the script?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
It's really very helpful...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Please guide me How to use this script?

Regards

Suhas Sajgure

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
As AdWords growing larger in term of possibilities for advertisers anything could be great or could be bad in different scenarios.

We do use a lot auto bidding at the start of new campaigns. Setting manual bids for the start is often not very successful nor very informing. If for example the campaign has tons of words, set manually there will be 2 big problems ; some of the words will be under first page and some will be outbidding everyone.

This leads to fewer click within the target budget. Fewer clicks leads to less statistical info and more time to make important changes. Not mentioning this is kind of playing with your clients money and your time.

After some time its better to change it to manual with modifiers or using scripts. Bidding strategies are kind of a test - we had a success for some profiles, not with others. I had a case where target CPA worked excellent for over 2 months and in one sunny day it just stopped delivering good results.

Some of the auto bidding options actually are very good in some niches. If its a emergency service being on top of results usually gives the best results and there is a bidding strategy for it.

In all cases i don't see how one can manage massive campaign with manual bidding.

We have a general rule of thumb for auto bidding - never, ever trust it - always check it regularly for changes of trends even if its doing great work.