5.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Implementing Conversion Tracking has Destroyed my Conversion Rates

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently added Conversion Tracking to my campaigns. I was very skeptical at first, because business was phenomenal. I didn't want to throw a wrench into a finely tuned engine.

The day after I added conversion tracking, my conversions dropped to practically ZERO and my quality score plummeted - some to 4 down from 7. After months of receiving consistently high conversion rates with no hiccups, due to my very meticulous campaign management habits, it all went down the drain. Is this some sort of Google Adwords scheme to make me spend more on advertising? After all, once conversions are being tracked by Google, can't they see how much you are making per conversion (an estimate), and can't they calculate how much you can afford to spend or are willing to spend?

This whole experience is very disappointing. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of, and I'm hoping to do something about it, either practically or legally. This is costing me thousands. There has got to be something going on here.

Re: Implementing Conversion Tracking has Destroyed my Conversion Rates

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

My reaction is just trying to help, and I´am not an  Adwords converersion tracking expert.

As far as I understand, Adwords conversion tracking is a tracking system.
You have to optimize campaigns yourself in Adwords.

When I read your post I think,
- Is everything well with your website at the moment?
And
- Did maybe something go wrong with implementing the tracking code?

You write my conversions dropped to practically ZERO
And
After all, once conversions are being tracked by Google, can't they see how much you are making per conversion

If there is no conversion, they cannot track conversion. So that is why I think maybe something is wrong on the website.

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply Elja.

The website is perfect. Nothing was changed. Why fix something that isn't broken you know?

Conversions were great prior to adding the tracker. Conversions whether or not I have conversion tracking are still conversions (purchases) - I just didn't know 100% what campaign they were coming from. I've been using Adwords for years, and I'm pretty good at optimizing my campaigns. But I've noticed this in the past year with other businesses that I've used adwords on... that as soon as conversion tracking is added into the mix quality scores start dropping, conversion rates slowly get worse, and advertising becomes more costly. So with this last business I held off on the conversion tracking for a GOOD while. Conversions (in this case sales), were fantastic. Tons a day. Business is expanding. So I thought, "ok, maybe I might have been paranoid in the past, let me give conversion tracking one more try. There's no way this conversion rate and success can be stifled. " So I grab the code, copy and paste it into the appropriate pages. I have one more amazing day in business... tons of conversions are tracked. And then BAM a little over 24 hours later I'm down to 2 orders a day - everyday. And it hasn't picked up since.

Coincidence? Highly unlikely. Have I changed anything? No. Did I blow up something while inserting the code? Impossible. The code was inserted into the text articles of "thank you for your order" pages. My conversions are only set for purchases, which I still receive (only 2 a day).

How can there be such a drop off within 48 hours of adding conversion tracking? I was consistently growing for months! It's just crazy! I wish I never would've added the tracking.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I think you have also activated the conversion optimiser without allowing it to gather enough statistics to make good predictions. Tracking alone doesn't change anything it just reports when pages with the tracking code are accessed. If so simply disable it and wait to receive a couple of hundreds of conversions before "going on automatic pilot"

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

It sounds terrible what happened. And it sounds strange to me.

And I think this is stuff that it is better you get a reaction from an experienced person, to go deeper in this.

But I am curious. It raises some other questions when I read your reaction.
- Has other metrics changed? Can you see what causes the lack of conversions? Are number clicks or visitors changed?

What did you do with the other campaigns?

You write :  But I've noticed this in the past year with other businesses that I've used adwords on... that as soon as conversion tracking is added into the mix quality scores start dropping, conversion rates slowly get worse,.

Did you stop conversion tracking for these campaigns? How long did it run? Did it get better when you stopped conversion tracking, if you did stop?

Did you get any indication from your metrics what happened there?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Adrian,
Yes, was what I was thinking.
Conversion tracking only tracks conversions. So I did not understand.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the tip. At the moment bidding is set to manual cpc, delivery is set to accelerated, ad rotation is set to optimize for clicks. Google hasn't enabled Conversion Optimizer just yet.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Elja,

Metrics:. Clicks are rising or lowering as usual, Bounce rates increase slightly, unique visitors has sharply dropped, visits have dropped, avg visit duration slightly increased.

For the last campaigns, we stopped operating, but towards the end I had to create new campaigns to start off at 10/10 and enjoy some good traffic for a little bit, only to drop down to 4-5 Quality Score, even though seo, landing page, ad relevance, keyword relevance, campaign optimization, split testing, etc were all on point. It was very frustrating.