AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Impact of Overlapping Targeted Locations within a single Campaign?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm in the process of taking over an AdWords account for a new client. They've got two active campaigns. Each campaign uses the same exact geo-targeting:

Pickerington, Ohio, United States
New Albany, Ohio, United States
Columbus, Ohio, United States
5.0 mi around (40.019230,-82.879344)
7.0 mi around (40.099229,-83.114077)
Delaware, Ohio, United States
Upper Arlington, Ohio, United States
Reynoldsburg, Ohio, United States
10.0 mi around (40.142003,-82.977037)
Grove City, Ohio, United States
43240, Ohio, United States
5.0 mi around (40.081174,-82.808786)

A couple of points:

1. There is a tremendous amount of overlap. Most of the suburban locations have at least some partial overlap with Columbus, Ohio. And the radius targeting is entirely inside Columbus Ohio.

2. There is no bid adjustment for any of the targeted locations (I've read the other community posts on the potential impact of doing that).

Can anyone think of any value or (more likely in my mind) issues with this much overlapping?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DavidCulbertson
July

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @DavidCulbertson,

Geographic overlapping will not cause any issues because the system rectifies it automatically. That said the practice may lead to some confusion e.g. when you need to study your stats. Therefore, you are advised to keep a clean household.

Bid adjustments for locations are not mandatory at all, hence you are only advised to apply them when you have proper business related reasons. (They must be your choice and will not impact your standing with Google.)

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DavidCulbertson
July

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @DavidCulbertson,

Geographic overlapping will not cause any issues because the system rectifies it automatically. That said the practice may lead to some confusion e.g. when you need to study your stats. Therefore, you are advised to keep a clean household.

Bid adjustments for locations are not mandatory at all, hence you are only advised to apply them when you have proper business related reasons. (They must be your choice and will not impact your standing with Google.)

Best,

Lakatos

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for confirming my thinking - Google will sort it out, but can create confusion.